FBX Import and AnimationControl Request

Wow that’s great news!

@Kaelthas, feel the rising pressure ? :smiley:

@nehon said: Wow that's great news!

It can be done throught blender’s export/import script like @normen did some formats support through blender.

@mifth said: It can be done throught blender's export/import script like @normen did some formats support through blender.
there is no normen's import script, he calls blender in command line to open the model and then import it using Kaelthas' blender importer. This means that most of our file format pipelines (except ogre and obj) will go through the blender importer, which is great, but it has to be rock solid. For example, there are still issues with bone animation because of the IK constraints. That's far from being a trivial issue.
@erlend_sh said: "Blender’s next release (2.69) will support binary FBX file reading", so that's good. http://code.blender.org/index.php/2013/08/fbx-binary-file-format-specification/

If I understand this correctly, this means we’ll effectively have FBX support via our bundled Blender, isn’t that right @normen ?

Only question is now if we release before or after that :wink:

@nehon said: there is no normen's import script, he calls blender in command line to open the model and then import it using Kaelthas' blender importer. This means that most of our file format pipelines (except ogre and obj) will go through the blender importer, which is great, but it has to be rock solid. For example, there are still issues with bone animation because of the IK constraints. That's far from being a trivial issue.
Yes there is, I have to use a python script to make blender do all steps, also from command line. Thats ofc also a chance to do other things and checks.. If somebody extends the scripts :D
@normen said: Only question is now if we release before or after that ;)
Well there is no ETA for blender 2.69 so i'd rather not.
@normen said: Yes there is, I have to use a python script to make blender do all steps, also from command line. Thats ofc also a chance to do other things and checks.. If somebody extends the scripts :D
oh ok i didn't know that python was involved.
@nehon said: Well there is no ETA for blender 2.69 so i'd rather not.

I don’t think he was suggesting that we wait… just that it will take so long for us to release finally that even that will be complete.

I just hope we can release before the OUYA becomes a “What was that indie console again?” :wink:

@nehon said: For example, there are still issues with bone animation because of the IK constraints. That's far from being a trivial issue.

I took some steps to support IK constraint, but I came accross problems with nodes/bones transformations.
So I think I will need to fix those first before I go any further.

@nehon said:

Yeah, I do

:affe: