Feature List

The feature list as been added to the main page here http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=64

It shows all current features (if you notice something missing let us know). and the future road map. If you notice the lack of an feature in the future let us know too, we aren’t opposed to adding more, but they should be “feature that no engine should be without!” kind of thing.

Another thing we might consider adding is Occlusion Culling.

I'm going to look into different options for user code archiving. The forum is nice, but I'd like to give you guys a place to submit a zipped file with classes in it to do some of these cool things, but that aren't in the main jme.

It would be totally awsome if users where able to - just like you said - post a zip, containing a jar together with source code, and a webstarted demo. All hosted on jmonkeyengine of course.

Just as a standardized way to make stuff that doesn't fit in the core distribution available.
- Redo the entire Transition thing, because its horribly horrible at the moment!

- Work on the LaserTrail thing. I feel this should have a different name?

We'll discuss it, but I don't think these kinds of things will be going in, as they are very niche. The effects we are trying to include are foundation effects that everyone can use to build bigger effects from.

I'm going to look into different options for user code archiving. The forum is nice, but I'd like to give you guys a place to submit a zipped file with classes in it to do some of these cool things, but that aren't in the main jme.

How did you end up deciding on how the map format for jme should be? I know that the user vote thinks that we should put the .map in the .jme but I was wondering what was the final decision.

The BSP and Portal information is for version 0.10, so we'll discuss that during that time. I.e. the feature list includes this implicitly by mentioning BSP and portals.

Your work with keeping us informed is appreciated, mojo.

Features missing? Hmm, well, I couldn’t see fog anywhere… Maybe it should be categorized as an effect?

And speaking of fog, didn’t we have volumetric fog on the TODO-list?

Good point, keep them coming, once we have a number of suggestions, we’ll put our heads together again and see what we feel about them.

-Volumetric Fog

any other suggestions?

Well, what I personally have had most problems with when using jME, and what I actually see as jME’s greatest weakness atm, is the sound API. It could really need a SoundManager, similar to the one up on Users Code.

It should be easy to play, loop and stop sounds in both a 3D and static way. E.g.

SoundManager.play(int sound);
SoundManager.play(int sound, Vector3f pos);

The problem why I've not successfully done this myself, is that the src code is completely undocumented and the author, Arman, is long gone.

Release 0.12 will include "Revamped Sound System"

That’s on the list for a future version, (.12 I think?) Also, Eric has mentioned some interest in working on that, but I haven’t seen him around in a while.

Edit: quick draw mojo…

Oh, missed that one :slight_smile:

Okey, so what about the UI system? Is it considered to be complete? Cuz guurk seem to have planned a lot of things that are not in yet. Also, AFAIK I still can’t get the width of an UIText, making it impossible to having it centered. And the TextField also doesn’t work properly, registering the arrow keys etc.

Since both of these are things I need, I’m willing to give a crack at them if guurk don’t have the time.

This is something we failed to cover in depth in the features list. Thanks for bringing it up. We did decide (I think) to remove Widget and go with Guurk’s library. So obviously, yes, it does need work, and we should address what and when.

I dont know about restrictions on what is going to go in after 0.9 and whatnot, but personally, i would like to see more effects there.

Im waiting for 0.9 to be released to redo ALOT of thing ( i got some motiviation back, and ive done a fair bit of coding since then, so im more learned :slight_smile: ).

I was hoping to:

• Redo the entire Transition thing, because its horribly horrible at the moment!

• Work on the LaserTrail thing. I feel this should have a different name?

• Perhaps upgrade the particle system to use what i call “particle behaviours” where each particle is associated with a controller (this has to be after 0.9 ) so that you can get fancy little equations to control how the particles behave… I’l discuss this more when the time is right.

Perhaps some of these effects could be added in the future features list?

How did you end up deciding on how the map format for jme should be? I know that the user vote thinks that we should put the .map in the .jme but I was wondering what was the final decision.

AFAIK no decision yet. The forum downtime suspended the discussion.

I’d like mojo, renanse and all others to sort out the very important and basic decisions they’re currently investigating like unit testing, packaging, etc.

The reason is that I personally feel an indoor map system is important to any game engine, so mojo, renanse, cep should have their heads free to participate in that discussion.

Sounds like a good feature list to me.

"mojomonk" wrote:
-Volumetric Fog

This one shouldn't be to hard to add, I could look into it.

Chman