Filter Artifacts

1. In the first video HDR, Bloom, Light Scatter, SSAO & PSSM is on.

It shows a lot of artifacts.It might seem like, due to low quality video, that’s why I attached some screen shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbuyEmZhcVo

(images doesn’t show up :frowning: )

img51.imageshack.us/i/hdro.jpg

img253.imageshack.us/i/lightshaft.jpg

img209.imageshack.us/i/shaft2.jpg

The second video is, when HDR is turned off.This stops showing some artifacts(00:05 of first video), but, this makes the Light Shafts too dark and sometimes, it darkens out the whole scene.The PSSM filter is always at the top of the stack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CuQoQe0Og

2. Does the sequence of adding filter to the viewport affects the final result?

When I added SSAO > LS > Bloom, it shows a lot of object trails.

I solved this by, Bloom> SSAO → LS.

img221.imageshack.us/i/mysettings.jpg

img10.imageshack.us/i/defaultsettings.jpg

The order matters a lot when comming to filters, you should use SSAO then Bloom then light scattering.

the banding is due to a low number of samples for light scattering. But…of course the more sample the slower it will be

Then you should reduce the scattering intensity so shadowed region will be less dark.

Could you give me the test case with oto so i can test it, and see what i can do?

Compressed(7z) file, with Main.java included.

Things are messy, because, I am just testing different features, how to use them. :stuck_out_tongue:

Asset Download Link

I’ll look into it as son as possible and give you feed back

Thanks.

You said, filter sequence is important.So, where does PSSM fits along the line?

On my scene, PSSM is always at the top.Is it ok?

Is it possible to implement a Blur pass after PSSM.(I dont know much about this stuff, but, I think if it was possible to softening up the shadow edges.)

you can increase the pcf kernel width to soften shadow, but it comes with a fps cost.

try to look at setPcfFilter method, default is 4x4, try 8x8 to 20x20 and see if you can have a good quality/speed compromise.

We are still looking into a good and fast way to make soft shadow edges, but a full screen blur pass is not a good idea because it makes shadows bleed onto un-shadowed objects

ok i looked into it.

First SSAO doesn’t bring much to your scene, because it’s highly lighted and the result is barely noticeable, but the fps cost is charged.

Remember SSAO is here to fake ambient lightings, so it looks very good on scenes with low lights.

then there was a bug in lightScatteringFilter, you couldn’t change the light density, i fixed it and here are good parameters for your scene. (update from last svn)

lcFilter.setBlurStart(0.25700027f);

lcFilter.setBlurWidth(0.8090012f);

lcFilter.setLightDensity(1.1539884f);

then about processor orders, PssmProcessor should be before the postFilterPRocessor as you did.

for you shadow though you should set the light direction the same as the light direction for lightscattering, otherwise it looks weird.

then you should use pcf filtering instead of dither,set the width to 16x16 with and edge thickness of 5.

do

PssmShadowRenderer pssmRenderer = new PssmShadowRenderer(assetManager,1024,4,PssmShadowRenderer.EDGE_FILTERING_PCF);

pssmRenderer.setPcfFilter(PssmShadowRenderer.FILTERING.PCF16X16);

pssmRenderer.setEdgesThickness(5);

pssmRenderer.setDirection(new Vector3f(-0.12f, -0.3729129f, 0.74847335f));

for the bloom the exposure power is to low making the clouds around the sun too brights

use those settings, it should be better

bloomfilter.setBlurScale(4.0f);

bloomfilter.setExposurePower(7.2f);

bloomfilter.setExposureCutOff(0.79f);

bloomfilter.setBloomIntensity(0.4f);

Thanks for all your hard work.

yes, SSAO doesn’t bring much to this scene, but this is a test scene and I am just checking out whether I am ok with all of those features that I want to implement in the actual game.

The environment the I plan is a old castle, very dark and broken here and there, so that some light can come through as light shaft.The rest lit part of the environment will be point light.I am still very much in the dark about how I am gonna approach.I am going to use procedural texture for most of the part, but and the same time I have to hand paint some dark area, cause, point lights dont cast shadow(correct me please, if I m wrong)So, SSAO will be great for that.Amneisa is just what I am looking for.Their gallary link : Amnesia Gallary

But unlike, Amnesia, it is going to be a platforming game(its the easiest to develop :stuck_out_tongue: ).I have already started blocking up some initial levels , with floating platforms here and there.I will post them asap.

you should use pcf filtering instead of dither,set the width to 16×16 with and edge thickness of 5.

Can you please enlighten me a little bit more technically.What is their differnce(dither)?I am curious about the inner works.Redirecting me to some other places will do.

I think the [java]pssmRenderer.setPcfFilter(PssmShadowRenderer.FILTERING.PCF16X16);[/java] is taking a hard hit for my Radeon 4670.Though its performance wasn't very good at the first place.Usually the FPS is 60, but from time to time, where is should not fall, FPS goes down to 9, 20, 32...very weird behavior.
Something, After starting the game, eveything is moving so fast, that pressing a simple direction key is taking me to the end of the world.
What is the suggestion about, how should I start looking into this matter.

About lightScatter, when the light shafts appear and disappear is very very abrupt, when u are close to the object.Is there any way to make the transition a little smoother?
iamcreasy said:
Can you please enlighten me a little bit more technically.What is their differnce(dither)?I am curious about the inner works.Redirecting me to some other places will do.

Google can help you, search for PCF filtering and dither filtering

iamcreasy said:
I think the [java]pssmRenderer.setPcfFilter(PssmShadowRenderer.FILTERING.PCF16X16);[/java] is taking a hard hit for my Radeon 4670.Though its performance wasn't very good at the first place.Usually the FPS is 60, but from time to time, where is should not fall, FPS goes down to 9, 20, 32...very weird behavior.

PCF filtering is expensive especially at 16x16, thats why we are looking for a better way of smoothing shadows.

iamcreasy said:
About lightScatter, when the light shafts appear and disappear is very very abrupt, when u are close to the object.Is there any way to make the transition a little smoother?

Yhea i'm still thinking of a better way to smoothly wear out the effect