First steps of moving jme3-blender out of JME repo

so you are doing something like “interactive video” kind of? like the games where you just choose decisions and watch what happends?

Sorry im not native english speaker, so i could not understand everything. could you explain me about tech itself?(i dont get what you mean by “escape sequence” issue) im not sure how did you import this animations to game itself, i understand you use .ogre, but i dont understand what type of animation it exported for use purpose. Was it bone or vetrex or object animation? how JME play this animations?

I think problems with the 2.79 gltf exporter and an Addon which is not ready for 2.8

1 Like

ok so its more like Blender plugin issue as i understand.

Because please note 2.8+ have different repo for GLTF khronos plugin.

1 Like

no the short is about a character escaping a military facility, the action in the short is “Run and Gun”

I intentionally tried to keep the assets mid to low poly for easy transfer, after that the plan is to, with the required adjustment, reproduce the short as playable game, with as much of the mechanics employed in the short that my coding skills can manage, I don’t know if the toon shader is even going look good in game, didn’t like my previous attempts but I am having fun, when I have time and motivation at least

3 Likes

those images are blender renders from 2.79 not in game to be clear

nice. but since its “in-blender” and you refer to .ogre exporter works and gltf issues, i belive it work “in-game” for .ogre too? (because .ogre and GLTF are only to move scene from Blender to JME, so if you tell me something dont work on export, i understand it does not work in JME)

ok, but it still does not tell me what i would like to know.

please correct me:
Blender 2.79 .ogre exported scene work ok for you (you are able play scene animations)
Blender 2.79 GLTF exported scene have some issues (i need to know what issues)
Blender 2.8 GLTF scene have issues itself because Blender 2.8 fracture plugin dont work fine like in 2.79 Blender (its more about blender issue)

reproduce the short as playable game

i understand it, but since Blender != JME and it has differences in animation systems available, i ask since .ogre scene work for you, what animation systems in JME did you used.

As i know JME support:

• Bone animations
  • object simple animations (when coded or via plugins - do you maybe use some JME plugin do .ogre scene animations dont needed code anything?)
  • morph animations (3.3+ jme)

(correct me if im wrong)

Since you told:

I mean exporting from 2.79 ogre has it’s issues but there are steps\workarounds that usually work. gltf is a bit more shaky…and yeah the destruction physics definitely isn’t going to be working reliably in 2.8 anytime soon

I understand that you successfully used this Scene in JME when exported as ogre using 2.79 Blender.
So my question refer to “what animation system/technique were it using?”.

Myself i only exported Bone/Morph animations, so what i want to know is what technique you used that 2.79 .ogre animation was working. I were using .ogre before, but i want to learn how you made it work in JME. Lets say object have AnimComposer and you select animation, so you just had animation for All scene or animate each object via code? Please understand me i dont know how you achieved it using .ogre exporter, so let me know please :slight_smile:

I don’t know if the toon shader is even going look good in game, didn’t like my previous attempts but I am having fun, when I have time and motivation at least

Yes, JME have toon Filter, you can do own filters, but if you dont have knowledge, then i understand that can use only provided one. (well @RiccardoBlb is working on new render Pipeline and new filters, so if you ask him kindly, maybe he could add better Toon shader if you wish)

bone animation, work well enough for me with ogre, you just need to remember to normalize to 4 vertex per bone and apply the transforms. gltf had animation transform issues, but the rigging techniques were different in the models, I my placeholder models have the skin bone being directly manipulated, my newer models uses a lot of constraint driven mechanics to animate the skin bones,so they never actually get “touched” perhaps I should see how my “new” models do with the export I will investigate, the scene too will be exported as a skeletal model, I have been on and off this project for a verrrrrry long time, tax auditor by profession, so this is all hobby when time and motivation allows

yes, initially GLTF had issues with constrains, so needed to “Bake animations” and then export.

But now its not a problem.

But let me tell you that now in Blender 2.8+ i have character with many IK bones/etc and all i do is just export with “always sample animations”.

I didnt check advanced constrains, but the ones i used are working fine :slight_smile:

“gltf sample animations option” should cause sampling all bones that use constrains/IK bones.

And all IK constrains do not make animation messy.

Also please note, you should do “ctrl-a → apply all transforms” because even .ogre bone animations might be messy because of local transforms i belive. Anyway that is first what i always do before export.

To whom it may concern, I think I’m likely going to redo this operation in a different way and probably blow away the BlenderLoader repo that I already created. I will move the build fixes over first.

I realize after the fact that moving the blender-specific test data and examples to the jme3-blender folder first would be easier/better in the long run. I could try to piece-meal it in but I foresee problems and there is no real benefit to doing so for a repo that is barely used.

3 Likes

@Darkchaos, I have attempted to port your changes over from BlenderLoaderOld to the BlenderLoader repository. You may want to double check that I did it correctly.

I will leave BlenderLoaderOld around for a little while just in case.

For everyone else, the new BlenderLoader repository has all of the jme3-blender source as well as the blender-specific (or .blend specific) tests from jme3 examples and all of the .blend files from jme3-testdata. These are now under the BlenderLoader/example and BlenderLoader/testdata directories, respectively.

In about 30 seconds, I’m going to blow away the jme3-blender directory from the main jme3 repo and clean up any remaining stuff that breaks.

4 Likes

…and it’s gone. 100% moved to the new GitHub - jMonkeyEngine-Contributions/BlenderLoader: JME3 plugin for loading .blend files project. No real traces left in the jme3 repository anymore.

Let me know if anyone encounters any problems with the changes. I’ve done basic full clean builds, testing, etc. locally and I’ve grepped every file in the repo for any mention of ‘blend’.

5 Likes

I am planning to implement versioning to the wiki but not until I get to a point in my project that allows me to fully concentrate on doing so as its a major undertaking.

I will scrub the wiki of anything SDK and blender related thereafter, moving them to their own repos as you have done.

The versioning will be selectable from every wiki page if things go right.

6 Likes

Can we get rid of BlenderLoaderOld now?

Can you refresh my memory on what that is?

Edit: I scrolled back. I miss the days of a threaded forum.

re: whether to remove it or not, I didn’t really care then and I definitely don’t care now. I hoped someone would confirm the above.

…but to be honest, I struggle to care at all about anything blender loader related at this point. Pouring all of my caring into gltf.