Flag Rush tutorial 7

This tutorial is up. Let me know if there are any major missing pieces, horrible mistakes, etc.

Uh nice, that tutorial is getting really cool  :roll:

Just a minor thing to - a flaw with the drift action was mention in Lesson 6 and it said it would be explained in lesson 7.

Edit: Also, I think it should be mentioned that

scene.updateGeometricState(0, true);

has been added in buildPlayer() - I got a null pointer exception because of it that I spent quite some time figuring out why it did that.

Just a minor thing to - a flaw with the drift action was mention in Lesson 6 and it said it would be explained in lesson 7.

Errr, whoops. I forgot about that little task, I'll add that in soon.

Edit: Also, I think it should be mentioned that
Code:
scene.updateGeometricState(0, true);
has been added in buildPlayer() - I got a null pointer exception because of it that I spent quite some time figuring out why it did that.

added. Thanks for finding that.

I'm having a little problem with the tutorials. the code given has the imports removed but new object types are introduced throughout each tutorial and I'm finding it quite a task to track them all down and include them :/. Is it possible the imports could be either put back in or a link to download the completed source be put into the tutorials?

I'll do a couple things to help with this:

1. From now on when a new class is introduced I'll give the package where it lives.
  2. At the top of the lesson I'll point to where the source lives.

I'll try to upgrade the previous 7 lessons when possible.

I'm trying to figure out why it is when I got home, and ran the lesson on my home PC the bike drives much slower than my work laptop (should be FPS independant). Do others feel like the bike accelerates slowly and it's top speed is poor?

I experience that in the control editor but not in the lesson especially after I switch focus or minimize it

thanks for this mojo you are really lifting some clouds for with this …hobby of mine, jme has provided a daunting but interesting challenge, "taxes, audits and spreadsheet be damned… ;)" keep it up and thanks

I noticed you opted not to cover gravity anymore I suppose its not really a big thing in the context of fragrush, but would it be useful for implementing power sliding "would be a nice scoring tactic…sort of like your baseball :)"

but still thanks for lifting those clouds :slight_smile:

Gravity will be moved until later. I'm just not sure yet (I started implementing it, and didn't like the result, and then realized that I needed to get more of the game elements in place).

Next tutorial (8) currently has: bike tilts into turns, the wheels spin based on the speed of the bike, flags randomly appear and stay there for 10 seconds. I'm going to clean up the flag stuff and add a couple more flag related features, then write up the next tutorial.

The tilt effect is very cool.  It's fun just driving around in circles on the terrain  :P  Can we say GDC 2006 demo anyone?

mojomonk said:

Gravity will be moved until later. I'm just not sure yet (I started implementing it, and didn't like the result, and then realized that I needed to get more of the game elements in place).

Next tutorial (8) currently has: bike tilts into turns, the wheels spin based on the speed of the bike, flags randomly appear and stay there for 10 seconds. I'm going to clean up the flag stuff and add a couple more flag related features, then write up the next tutorial.

nice real nice and again thanks

The tilt effect is very cool.  It's fun just driving around in circles on the terrain  Tongue  Can we say GDC 2006 demo anyone?

definitely :D :D

and continue to lift those clouds  :) :) :D

I haven't had a chance to go through the tutorial yet, but I really can't wait. :slight_smile:

It looks like you're doing an awesome job as usual Mojo, keep it up!

darkfrog