Flag Rush Tutorial Wiki Changes

hello

i am new to jME and working through the wonderful Flag Rush tutorial ( http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php/jme2_-_flag_rush_tutorial_series)

i have noticed a couple little things that i had to change to get the code to produce results similar to the screen captures that were provided.  i was wondering if someone could sort of check out the alterations i made and then either change the wiki or green light me changing it… or let me know why it should stay the way it is.

I have never worked on a wiki before and since i figure no one knows me and i am so new to jME i don't want to just start changing things and screw everything up.

My first for instance:

in Lesson 5 we seperate the Force Field Fence functionality into it's own class.  in that class, in the buildFence() method the post is rotated before being added four times to the SharedMesh'es

//This cylinder will act as the four main posts at each corner

Cylinder postGeometry = new Cylinder("post", 10, 10, 1, 10);

Quaternion q = new Quaternion();

//rotate the cylinder to be vertical

q.fromAngleAxis(FastMath.PI/2, new Vector3f(1,0,0));

postGeometry.setLocalRotation(q);

however in Lesson 4 it was noted:

/NOTE: do not set the local properties now (translation, rotation, etc) , because for some reason, JME 2.1
//maybe had something changed with the SharedMesh object and seems that it is not basing the targeted objects properties off the //primary's

//We will share the post 4 times (one for each post)
//It is *not* a good idea to add the original geometry
//as the sharedmeshes will alter its local values.
//We then translate the posts into position and rotate them accordingly to the quaternion.

and indeed that seems to be the case for me

so my question is would it be better to arrange Lesson 5's ForceFieldFence class similar to Lesson 4?

welcome to jME!  :slight_smile:

for a working version of flagrush have a look in the jmetest.flagrushtut-package or the current svn:

http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/source/browse/#svn/trunk/src/jmetest/flagrushtut

You should also have a look at the ‘new flagrush’, though the code has yet to be reviewed properly and I don’t know if Nader has completed his work on the docs/tutorial side.

very good. thanks fellas

getting the code in the tutorial i am following to work "correctly" has been very informative, but i am glad to know there are other options to look at if i get stuck

i will wait on updating the wiki myself and just take notes. if a good amount of time passes i will bring it up again

thanks again!