Flexon

Hi everyone!

rules are online…

Am I missing how to run the game?  The download link doesn't do anything for me (maybe it was the subpage I was on?)  The screenshots look pretty cool though.

did you try: right click…save as?? on the picture of the zip folder?

does anyone else have problems downloading the zip package?

did it work for someone?

we tested the download with several friends where it worked…

hope i clould help.

Haven't played it yet, but just from the screenshots it looks awesome!

Did you do the modeling and UI stuff yourself?

as far as i can see on the website there's a programmer and an artist. i don't know which one is wano (i suppose the programmer) :slight_smile:

Thank you for the compliments!!!  :smiley:

Yes, I did the modeling and the UI myself. I am also the Java coder in our project. My friend was responsible for the Lua scripting, interpretation and the AI. So the work was subdivided into fair parts.

Unfortunately there is still nothing teached in the field game development at our university, so we had to learn a lot by ourselves. Because of that you can only see one model(the dwarf). There was not enough time for me to complete the work on the others. I hope I'll find time to do that because this is my favorite work on the project (although I like to code, too).

The UI elements and the textures are painted in Gimp.

Greetings,

wano (Tim).

What did you use for the Java-Lua integration?

Hi llama,

I'm the second developer of Flexon and responsible for the lua stuff and the AI.

Since Lua is originally written in C++ we used a special Java version named LuaJava, which is part of the KeplerProjekt (http://www.keplerproject.org/luajava/).

Greetings,

Mich

EXTREMELY COOL!!

I've been playing the game for a solid 30 minutes now, and I like it!!!

Interesting concept, the game plays out almost like a chinese checkers/stratego where you chase pieces around and then build up lines of strong guys to push back against the other side!

It takes a little while for the game to get going but once it does you get to create little pockets of forces that you strategically band up in configurations to fight little battles.

I really like the models and animations, also the HUD graphics are very well done!

So some questions:

• Are there any plans to make this a networked multiplayer game (that'd be lots of fun)

• Any plans to open source your code when you're finished?

• I also think it'd make it interesting if you would be able to save moves to carry into the next round (max 7 or something), it'd make you be conservative if your willing to risk laying low for a bigger attack in the next round.

Some minor bugs/glitches:

• If you select two (or more dwarves) but you select the front dwarf first then the back dwarf and try to move to a hexagon in front of the front dwarf it draws the movement arrows backwards

• The AI sometimes doesn't make good decisions like it will move forward then right back, or it will push me once, and be able to push me off if it did it again but instead stops and does something else (even though it has enough move points). It's understandable with a game of so many squares and compound moves the AI will probably just need to be tweaked to make it more difficult.

As I play more I'll let you know of anything else I run into.

Bravo again, very nicely done.
dougnukem said:

• Any plans to open source your code when you're finished?

+1 !

Hi again!

We are very happy that you like FLEXON.

Are there any plans to make this a networked multiplayer game (that'd be lots of fun)

Yes, we thought about that.

Any plans to open source your code when you're finished?

We can't promise to open source the Java code. It depends on our Univresity and besides the code is eh...

Hi!

thank you dougnukem for your positive and analytical comment.

The AI sometimes doesn't make good decisions like it will move forward then right back, or it will push me once, and be able to push me off if it did it again but instead stops and does something else (even though it has enough move points). It's understandable with a game of so many squares and compound moves the AI will probably just need to be tweaked to make it more difficult.

That's right. Tim likes to tease me with that

Is my video card / driver too old?

23.12.2006 16:32:04 com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem initDisplay
SCHWERWIEGEND: Cannot create window
java.lang.Error: Cannot create window: No support for WGL_ARB_multisample
        at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initDisplay(Unknown Source)
        at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createWindow(Unknown Source)
        at core.GameManager.initSystem(GameManager.java:175)
        at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)
        at core.Game.main(Game.java:8)

One of our friends had the same problem. It worked after he updated his graphic drivers.

Hope that helped.

merry X-mas to everyone!!!

looks like they're trying to enable anti-aliasing in the game ("samples"), older cards don't support that… they could make a commandline parameter maybe, or use LWJGL to check if it's supported, but maybe jME should fall back to no antialiasing (rather than throw an error) in the first place.

yes, we are using anti-aliasing. there will be an option to deactivate it later. it's on our 'to-do'-list  :smiley: .

looks like they're trying to enable anti-aliasing in the game ("samples"), older cards don't support that.. they could make a commandline parameter maybe, or use LWJGL to check if it's supported, but maybe jME should fall back to no antialiasing (rather than throw an error) in the first place.

agreed, there are a number of things like this where we need to display a warning and fallback to a something else.

I put it on my TODO, but it's already a month behind…

Hi all !

It seems that the download link to get this amazing game doesn' t work anymore …  :expressionless:

I' d really like to try it !..

Is there anyone could have the package to download ?

That would be wonderful !  :mrgreen:

Thanks anyway !

JMonjey really rox !  8)

yonder