Flight game

sorry but there is only video for now  :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eh4sINvIdA

massive multiplayer online deathmatch? }:-@

Very cool!  When can we try it out?  I like the look of the controls for the plane a lot.

Nice!!

The number of jME vids on Youtube is really exploding by the way… apperently we even support the WiiMote. Now that would be nice for a flight game like this…

Nice demo  :smiley:

The plane model rendering very beautiful, and the game seem to be easy to control :wink:

Looks very well done. Good job.

anykeyh said:

Nice demo  :D

The plane model rendering very beautiful, and the game seem to be easy to control ;)

sorry but what is exactly good about model rendering? I am new to game programming so sometimes I may have difficulty to understand the exact meanings you mean for the terms you use. My friend prepared plane and rocket model, I also don't know such things.

In the game I used the examples in jmetest for sea, sky, flare and input control. I couldn't manage to handle parameters in particlemesh for explosion and the dark smoke, I took the SmokerFactory class in aircarrier and changed them a little. My modeller friend prepared the parameters for the fire at the bottom of the plane. I only prepared the smoke after rocket and that is the only bad particlemesh in the game  :D.
llama said:

The number of jME vids on Youtube is really exploding by the way.. apperently we even support the WiiMote. Now that would be nice for a flight game like this..

How the crap did someone do that?  You'd have to have an adapter for the sensor bar and drivers for it I'm guessing...going to google now. :)

http://www.modpulse.com/articles/console-mods/usb-wii-sensor-bar/

}:-@

I think you only need the sensor bar for pointing. The vid only shows tilting…

Also the wiimote itself is actually responsible for relaying the data, which is done over bluetooth (which is kind of like UDP, so it's generic as long as you have drivers for your bluetooth device, and software that can talk to those drivers). The sensor bar doesn't relay any info afaik, it's just infrared light. (if you look a bit more on Youtube you can see even candles do the trick!)

http://www.wiili.org/forum/wiimote-via-java-t983-s40.html

er. offtopic. sorry.

renanse said:

Very cool!  When can we try it out?  I like the look of the controls for the plane a lot.

I've graduated this year from computer science, looking for a job now and there are very few companies that work on 3d games in my country(Turkey). I don't have too many things to show them that's why I prepared this project. In fact I wasn't planning to prepare something that people can play, but now it is better than I expected and when my friends see it they want to play. I am new to jme, a little more than one month and I made this in 3 weeks so everything is in a mess. I have to work more to prepare something that can be played well. First I shall find a job then we will see what I can do  :D

renanse, you said you like the look of the controls. It looks nice probably because of the camera movement. At first I attached camNode to plane but then to improve the perception of the movement I decided to follow the plane with a flexible movement so I wrote a Node implementation to follow the plane in that way.

public class FollowingNode extends Node{

Node player;      //Node which will be followed
   Vector3f dir;
   float move=0.25f, turn=0.05f;      //coefficients for the movement flexibility
   Node followPoint;
   public FollowingNode(Node cr){
      player=cr;
      followPoint=new Node();
      cr.attachChild(followPoint);
         followPoint.setLocalTranslation(0, 10, -45);      // put camera a little back

Vector3f pos=new Vector3f(followPoint.getWorldTranslation());
      setLocalTranslation(pos);
      Quaternion dir=new Quaternion(player.getLocalRotation());
      setLocalRotation(dir);      
   }

public void simulate(){
      if(followPoint==null)
         return;
      Vector3f pos=new Vector3f(getLocalTranslation());
      pos.interpolate(followPoint.getWorldTranslation(), move);      
      setLocalTranslation(pos);

Quaternion dir=new Quaternion(getLocalRotation());
      dir.slerp(player.getLocalRotation(), turn);
      setLocalRotation(dir);
   }

}

//...usage

Node plane=new Node();  

FollowingNode follow=new FollowingNode(plane);
follow.attachChild(camNode);

// and you need to call simulate in update or somewhere else

You can attach smt.else instead of camNode and watch how that follows the moving node.

There is something I want to say, I also attached camera to missile/rocket you can switch to that view if you want but it is not clear in the video. For the ones who didn't notice take a closer look at 1:35.

rocket model and the smoke after it is not good

Oh, i was believe than spoiler move with right/left pressed, but after a second video watch, I think it's the light rendering mixed with poor quality of video which make this artefact;

I apologize  :oops:

However, your camera move is very smooth, and the airplane seem to be very agile :wink:

game is played with mouse only. left click is fire, right click sends missile, scroll increases and decreases speed. Keyboard is used only for camera change, after you sent a missile you can follow it by pressing a key.

Normally it works at 150-200 fps but when recording the screen fps decreased too much because of the recording program so I decreased resolution. It was still slow. Normally resolution and the speed is better.

HamsterofDeath said:

Would it be difficult to develop a multiplayer online air-combat game with jgn. There is a company which is trying jmonkey here. I may meet them. If I work there would it be reasonable to propose such an idea?
elix said:

HamsterofDeath said:

Would it be difficult to develop a multiplayer online air-combat game with jgn. There is a company which is trying jmonkey here. I may meet them. If I work there would it be reasonable to propose such an idea?

Absolutely...in fact that would probably be the ideal for JGN as it's designed with real-time performance in mind...I guess that makes an ideal for any circumstance, but I try to cater to real-time games as that's what I'm particularly interested in. :)
llama said:

The number of jME vids on Youtube is really exploding by the way..

No kidding.  I've tried to pull as many of them as I can into a playlist here:

http://www.renanse.com/blog/2007/12/jme-video-player.html

If you know of some good ones I've left out, let me know :)

Elix, thank you for the camera code  .

Seriously, I had to tackle that and your post saved me some headaches I guess. Congratulations for the game.

Here, how I used your camera code (it's a bit changed though, and still needs to be worked on):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZTccLb1LhY

Regards!

it seems very nice… glad to help you

here is the game:

http://www.box.net/shared/d7ynhw408k

It's nice!

A little easy perhaps, but it's fun to shoot those other planes out of the sky. They seem to kill each other awfully quick though… I guess there's some challenge in that (getting as many as possible).