Forum avatar problems

Well, I uploaded 115 kB image as avatar without problems.

1 Like

Was it a PNG? because discourse automatically convert png to JPG and the converted file might be below 50k

2 Likes

Do already uploaded things count against this limit?

1 Like

It was jpeg.

1 Like

True! It was a png. I tried with jpeg and it did work. Thanks!

1 Like

Also I made several attempts, so you might have done it when the limit was higher

1 Like

jpg. 20 kb. didn’t work. just now.

1 Like

mhhh… yet uploading screenshots work… please use imgur :stuck_out_tongue:

Look, I’m really sorry, but I’ve already spent too much time on it this morning…
You have an already pretty cool avatar with a nice frozen beard. Please consider to keep it :wink:

1 Like

It didn’t do that for me (at least, it doesn’t seem like it), I had to manually convert my avatar to jpg to make it small enough.

The original .png file was 99.3 kB. After uploading this failed I turned it into jpg with gimp on default settings which made it 30.8 kB.

1 Like

No. It’s linked from snag.gy not uploaded.

2 Likes

mhh maybe it does it only for images in posts then…
This thing is silly…

1 Like

oh right

1 Like

If you’re unable/unwilling to fix this, no problem, I can live my current avatar. Just trying to help.

1 Like

Well thanks. As long as most people are fine about it, I’m ok too.
The thing is… I hate web dev / setting /configuration… I did too much in my life… and I don’t want to do it in my spare time.

2 Likes

Yea it was a PNG. But in the end it doesn’t matter because the result is changed avatar :smiley:

2 Likes

You know what would be best? If we could just provide an avatar image link, such as to imgur and the like.

That can’t be right. Mine has transparency.

2 Likes

Uploaded my 7kb jpg avatar without any problems. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess only jpgs are supported now. I’ve tried a 15kb png and ico and both gave an error, except that the png gave a size error and the ico a “there was a problem” generic message.

1 Like

The .png vs. .jpg thing may be related to this discussion on the Forum software support board.

Any commonalities in the way that y’all are generating your avatar files?

1 Like

The avatar upload thing worked for me, I used a JPG about 24KB in size

1 Like