Forum avatar problems

I think you may have misunderstood me. I was asking if there were anything in common among those that were trying to upload .png, as there currently seem to be some Discourse bugs with .pngs from certain sources.

1 Like

Ohhhhhhhhh then in that case no PNG did not work for me, I had to convert it myself

1 Like

I uploaded jpg file and its worked.

Am I the only one permanently stuck to winter then?

You can change your profile photo if you use jpg image png doesn’t work.

Hm. Thanks for the tip. I tried it but I’m still getting “your image is bigger than 50 KB” with 25 KB jpg image.

maybe it’s not a jpg image (png with jpg ending ) try to open the image with a commun image editor Microsoft paint on windows and save the image as jpg.

No it isn’t. But nonetheless I opened up the original .png and exported it again as .jpg, this time with more compression. But it still complains about the image being too large in KB even though it isn’t. The image is 250x250 px. Could the pixel size affect it? Maybe it’s giving the wrong error message … the only other reason for the failed upload that I can think of is that I’ve somehow run out of space and it’s calculating the current image I have plus the image I’m trying to upload against the 50 KB limit.

Hmh. No, not even 150x150px 8 Kb jpg works. Same error all the time.

EDIT:
I used maximum jpg compression and got the image down to 1 Kb. That worked. But now I’m left with useless pixelated mess as my avatar.

I did some further testing. It only accepts images from me which are under or equal to 2.3 Kb in size.

EDIT:
Is there any chance that

1. Upload small image of proper size
  2. Image gets automatically handled by imagemagick or similar
  3. ???
  4. Image size is now too large, rejected

EDIT 2:
So, I downloaded the avatar @oualid is using and tried to upload that. Fails. Might be some kind of cache problem / something is eating up the 50 Kb space reserved for me.

don’t compress jpg images to much or use https://tinypng.com/ 120x120px image size is more than good at the end the image is resized in the forum to 45x45px

It only accepts images from me which are under or equal to 2.3 Kb in size so that doesn’t really help.

I thought that the forum converts them to PNG so that it can put the little alpha circle around them. So maybe it’s backwards. Upload a PNG smaller than 50 kb and see if that works.

ie: it could be that your compressed jpg, when converted to PNG, is bigger than 50 kb.

I’m just guessing, though… the forum software is super-stupid in all of this and the authors should feel bad. :slight_smile:

No, unfortunately it does not. I already tried that with .png image that was some kilobytes.

actually this is done with css if you tried to move the image it will appear normal “square” and you can do this to any thing in html not only images.
if the forum was written in php troubleshooting this could be easier but the forum is little bit old and Ruby was popular then.

@Pilvinen if you could send me the image that you want to make it you forum avatar i may be able to help you.

Yeah, sure. The rounding is done with CSS. But if you click someone’s profile image you can see the original. And that is a .png. So probably imagemagick library is being used for the conversion or something similar.

EDIT:
Also. We already established that the problem is not at my end. It’s most likely a cache problem at the forum’s end. So sending images back and forth is unlikely to provide a solution.

i don’t know why the images are converted this is completely useless, if you want more detail then use png if you don’t care then use jpg there is no logic in converting images from jpg to png.

Dude.

One last time:

I can’t upload any images that are over 2.3 Kb.

@Pilvinen sorry to intrude