Free CryENGINE SDK in August 2011...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

Just read the NEWS!!!

http://www.crymod.com/

Free CryEngine SDK is going to be released in August 2011.

they might take the same route of Epic

If you want to use it to make a game to launch commercially, we'd like to help you with that. If you want to take your product down a traditional commercial route, we will offer an innovative low cost licensing model if you want to release your game digitally.
normen said:
Yukk, C++.. Now that I am writing the C++ native bullet implementation I remember fondly why I like C++ the least of all native languages. It simply sucks big time. Every game engine gives you the source code btw ;)

Actually the UDK doesn't come in source form. You have to actually pay a hefty seat cost for that lol.
This is taken from the UDK FAQ http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitFAQ.html
Q: How does this differ from an Unreal Engine 3 license?

A: The primary difference is that UDK does not include Unreal Engine 3 C++ source code access. UDK ships with all the UnrealScript code and Unreal Engine tool integrations as the commercial version of Unreal Engine 3, offering all the same features the pros use.

The tools and technology are the same however a "full" license includes the underlying C++ source code to the engine and tools, which allows licensees to make virtually any change they want and potentially ship their game on consoles provided they're licensed by the console manufacturer.

Both UDK users and traditional Unreal Engine 3 commercial licensees have access to all UnrealScript source code. UnrealScript is comparable to a programming language like Java in terms of features and performance (byte-compiled), with features designed to simplify game development, e.g., state scoping of functions, automatic serialization, simple system for defining networking replication of properties and remote functions, etc.

There are tons of great materials and support avenues for UDK users, including the two new "Mastering Unreal Technology" books from Sams, hundreds of pages of support items on our Unreal Developer Network , UDK Community Forums, and hundreds of hours of free video tutorials from the folks at 3D Buzz with a whole bunch more tailored specifically to getting started with UDK in the works right now.

Full UE3 licensees also get direct support from Epic's engineers who write UE3 code.

Just an fyi.
1 Like

Thanks for the news :slight_smile:

Muahahaa. Even CryEngine fears us! Open Source ftw :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am really looking forward to this part,

This will be a complete version of our engine, including C++ code access, our content exporters (including our LiveCreate real-time pipeline), shader code, game sample code from Crysis 2, script samples, new improved Flowgraph and a whole host of great asset examples, which will allow teams to build complete games from scratch for PC.

this is simply WOW!

Yukk, C++… Now that I am writing the C++ native bullet implementation I remember fondly why I like C++ the least of all native languages. It simply sucks big time. Every game engine gives you the source code btw :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it really is too bad it’s written in a legacy language. :wink:

1 Like

They should port it to Java, like, right now!

1 Like

Haha, seems like all the others are giving us more and more arguments for having java as the central language to tie all of this game dev stuff together :wink: Epic talks about “a programming language like Java in terms of features and performance”, I doubt they mean bad and slow here. Also, “OgreKit” is tying Ogre3D, Bullet, Blender and a LUA interpreter to a game creation suite… Anyone else feels like we are already implementing these concepts for years? :wink:

4 Likes

Actually yeah, feels kinda like that.

normen said:
Haha, seems like all the others are giving us more and more arguments for having java as the central language to tie all of this game dev stuff together ;) Epic talks about "a programming language like Java in terms of features and performance", I doubt they mean bad and slow here. ...

I think they said it because of it's OO approach and easy to understand nature. C++ provides you to go with hybrid approach, but when it comes to java you have some restrictions, which is a plus for beginners.

…in the long run, a plus for anyone.

They said “bytecode” so they probably have a JIT compiler too. So the code is always optimized for the platform it runs on and not for the one selected when compiling. I think thats the main point. No good programmer does all the strange things you can do in C++ if its not really necessary…

I was just reading an article in an old game developer about a way to add “reflection” to C++ code. The Java envy is so great these days that they even use Java’s name for “introspection” when adding it to C++. :wink:

1 Like

sry for reviving this,

it is out today

http://www.crydev.net/dm_eds/download_detail.php?id=4

people with win can celebrate ^^

Do they support Java yet or only legacy languages? :wink:

wow…that’s impressive…It really pulls nice graphics

Well it works pretty imho, bit easier to handle terrain using it than using the UDK imho :stuck_out_tongue:

baalgarnaal said:
Well it works pretty imho, bit easier to handle terrain using it than using the UDK imho :P

In fact, the whole thing is easier then UDK :)