FreeBSD?

Is there FreeBSD support planned for JME3? Or a work-around through Linux emulation?

if you get lwjgl to run/ compile the natives for your system or emulate so the existing will run, then it will.

As far as I know the only non java part is the lwjgl.jar that you need to have. (In theorie you could also write a renderer that runs without lwjgl)

Yes, the lwjgl natives would be the only problem here. But since they compile on darwin (OSX), which is BSD I guess they should compile on any BSD system.

Thanks; as of Nov/2010, lwjgl isnt in the FreeBSD ports system. I ‘think’ that may be due to a lack of ALSA sound support in FreeBSD but I will need to check that out.

I will update what I can learn in a bit;

LWJGL doesn’t use ALSA, it uses OpenAL. So it depends on what OpenAL implementations are available for FreeBSD.

Hello.

I have been using JME2 and JME3 for several projects on FreeBSD.

JME2/JME3 do not depend on an operating system. As long as you have managed to compile lwjgl on your operating system, you can use JME.

I needed to change some build.xml files to compile lwjgl on FreeBSD.

jogl is available in ports (for JME2).

The frame rates are pretty nice as long as you have accelerated opengl drivers.

For developing with JME3 I bought a laptop with NVidia 310M dedicated video card.

Nvidia (unlike AMD) provides native drivers for FreeBSD, so everything works as axpected.

If you cannot make lwjgl compile on FreeBSD, I can help you with this.

1 Like

@anton: Thats very good to hear! Perhaps you could cooperate with the LWJGL team on this, so they could make their releases on FreeBSD as well.

Momoko_Fan said:
@anton: Thats very good to hear! Perhaps you could cooperate with the LWJGL team on this, so they could make their releases on FreeBSD as well.

Aye, its cool for the occasional FreeBSD user to feel like they have a home :)

im build lwjgl 2.8.1 for freebsd amd64

you can take my .so file here:

http://ark.su/lwjgl281/liblwjgl64.so

1 Like