Fruit Ninja Clone

Hey all. Just working on learning JME and started working on a Fruit Ninja Clone. I was thinking of putting together a tutorial on it as well once I get it closer to the real version. Wanted to get your thoughts. I put it up on google code but haven’t figured out how to upload code/use versioning yet so its just a download. Here is the link. Constructive criticism welcome. This is just a simple version using boxes for fruit, a text GUI for score, and there is no time limit yet. Going to work on the GUI and model up some fruit meshs next as well as add the timer.

EDIT:

Made a few updates as well as adding @wezrule 's suggestion though that is not complete either. Still need to create the actual fruit meshes.

https://code.google.com/p/fruits-ninja-clone/downloads/detail?name=FruitSlicer%20v0_1.zip&can=2&q=

2 Likes

cool, the feel of it is very similar :slight_smile: I do love Fruit Ninja ^_^, had a little try but it didn’t seem to respond to most of my wipes?

This may come in handy for the lines when dragging
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/lines-and-trails/

Ahh yeah I just used mouse clicks to destroy the boxes. Haven’t gotten to touch/swipes yet…forgot to mention that :slight_smile:

That tutorial would be very welcome.

If you could get it on to the app store as a beta version (I believe there are ways to do private betas if you don’t want to go public with it just yet) that’d make it a lot more accessible. I’d certainly give it a test then.

I’ll definitely do a tutorial once I have it complete but I don’t know how the makers of the real Fruit Ninja would react to me trying to publish a clone of their game. I did this strictly as a learning project :slight_smile: I have a Nifty GUI working on it now as well as a few other things. I’m trying to get the lines and trails that @wezrule mentioned working and I’ll post another download and then start working on the tutorial and adding other features.

Just to add to that I’m a complete noob at this and have been trying to find something to really get me started after reading through all the beginner stuff. I just thought a simple game like this that people can relate to that uses some of the basic functionality was a good start and probably a good start for others.

@cmjesz said: I'll definitely do a tutorial once I have it complete but I don't know how the makers of the real Fruit Ninja would react to me trying to publish a clone of their game.
Oh they won't mind as long as you don't directly copy their name or assets. Call the game "Vegetable Samurai" for instance and you'll be fine. Leave references like "Fruit Ninja (clone)" for the tutorial and of course feel free to call out the actual game. If anything they should be honored that their game is popular enough to be tutorial material.
Just to add to that I'm a complete noob at this and have been trying to find something to really get me started after reading through all the beginner stuff. I just thought a simple game like this that people can relate to that uses some of the basic functionality was a good start and probably a good start for others.
No code is perfect. As long as you're willing to share your work, it'll be put under scrutiny and improved by the community as a whole. We keep hearing the one thing people are missing from our wiki is more start to finish game tutorials, so we love contributions like these :)