"FXAA Rules, OK?"

Just found this post over at Real Tim Rendering, very interesting article covering FXAA, thought it was worth sharing:

FXAA Rules, OK ?

Further reading :: FXAA white paper

Cheers

James

8 Likes

Very interesting!! thanks

Oh cool!

Thanks for this!!

yeh big thanks, much appreciated! dam i need to learn how to make my own shaders xD

Wow that’s very impressive, with default config it gives almost the same result as x4 AA and for about 7 to 8% frame rate loss compared to no AA at all.

I thumb you up once more for that phate666

Purty nice! :slight_smile:

nehon said:
Wow that's very impressive, with default config it gives almost the same result as x4 AA and for about 7 to 8% frame rate loss compared to no AA at all.

I thumb you up once more for that phate666

you can give more than 1 thumbs up? dam u :P

OK that’s in!

@phate666 I hope you don’t mind, but i changed some variable name to fit more java naming convention, also, i added getters for the attributes because it’s needed to add the filter in the filter editor in jmp

You don’t have to pass your own width and height to the shader, there is a global uniform called Resolution that you can use as any other global uniforms. It’s a vec2, x id the width and y is the height. Just for you to know for further developments.

Here are some shots to compare

No AA

http://i.imgur.com/GhNPF.jpg

AA x4

http://i.imgur.com/9oq0G.jpg

FXAA

http://i.imgur.com/B40Y0.jpg

In fact that’s even better than AAx4 because the water is also anti-aliased, and the frame rate is so much better.

wezrule said:
you can give more than 1 thumbs up? dam u :P

Yeah, admins can, and we can give more than one thumb down :evil:

Holy crap yeah! Huge difference FPS-wise but the final effect is almost indistinguishable. Wow. I love it. :smiley:

That what I call awesomeness…

This technique really “ruined” oops , i mean “ruled” !

madjack said:
Holy crap yeah! Huge difference FPS-wise but the final effect is almost indistinguishable. Wow. I love it. :D

The huge difference is 'No AA' and 'AA x4'. The FPS drop between 'No AA' and 'FXAA' is a measly 16 frames per second!

This is an outstanding contribution @phate666

That’s plain awesome! :slight_smile:

Bloody hell that’s awesome. :o

FUuuuuu ! Thumb up for the win !

This technic is the future :slight_smile:

erlend_sh said:
The huge difference is 'No AA' and 'AA x4'. The FPS drop between 'No AA' and 'FXAA' is a measly 16 frames per second!

This is an outstanding contribution @phate666

Yeah. that's what I meant. Badly worded. :)

Wow thats awesome, especially when you tihnk that aa should be hardware optimized ^^

That will surely help to have high performance jme 3d applications :slight_smile:

Cool

What does it change compared to the previous one? faster? better? stronger?

AMAZING!!! Do you want to put it into JME core?

Just a question out of curiosity… Wouldn’t it be easier to stuff the gamma filter inside the FXAA filter and have it turned on via a method?