Game idea proposition. Ochlocracy

The survival type of games are getting very popular these days.

Games like DayZ, WarZ (let’s not go there), RUST and others, are gaining more and more adepts every day.

But, to me, the griefing is really a deterrent because I’m never really ready for it, it’s never in my term (not that it can really be), but it has so much potential if done right. I’m not saying those titles are doing it wrong, but it’s not 100% to my taste.

Yesterday after playing RUST I had an epiphany…

I won’t go into ANY detail, but even though this could be difficultly done here, I think it would be possible to pull off. I would be willing to put Disenthral aside to explore the possibilities this could offer.

In short, I’m looking for people that would like to discuss the possibilities to explore a game like that made with jME3. We have everything here to make that kind of game. We have the engine. jME3 can compete with anything those games use. The hardest to pull would be gathering people interested enough to jump into it.

Unfortunately, what would be needed is experienced coders. In short, no programming newcomers. You would need a good understanding of the engine, nifty or t0neg0d’s GUI, writing, shaders or modeling/map-making.

I have no intention of doing a game as an open source project, so this would be a private thing.

The first goal would be to get 3-4 interested people (or more) and discuss the foundation on skype or an otherwise live connection. I have several ideas that could actually turn the genre on its head

That’s all I say for now.

So, how many of you could be interested if things are right?

A title I like:

Ochlocracy

player griefing is the main reason i bought dayz. its fun to go on and do random shenanigans and mess with people.

I know some people are into that, but this is all these games are offering. If you don’t join friends to grief others or make a group to defend from the arseholes then you’re doomed to rage quit because there aren’t that many incentives to play short of doing that to others.

That being said, you could do that in Ochlocracy, but there would be so much more than playing for “shit and giggles to annoy other players”.

I’m still quite unsure what kind of game you have in mind.
Something survival-like… well, certainly not boring, but there are still SO many options - PvP vs. PvE, open vs. closed world, is a PC supposed to build up or is it for “who survives longest”.
I can understand why you’re intentionally vague, but it’s a bit too generic to pique my interest. (Which may or may not be relevant to you, of course.)

hi, i know all those games too well :smiley: and i understand what u feel :slight_smile:
i could join you, thou im not so good with graphics stuff or shaders, but i can work 100% with data management, optimization and networking. also tonegodGui, im using it for my own project.

The main thing that’s putting me off writing a (complex in-depth) game right now is shadows and lighting in jme. Although you can smoke and dagger a lot of things, I’m awaiting on the advances in those areas before I jump in. I hear a lot of good things about improvements in those areas from various threads, and acknowledgement from those that have the ability to improve them, so I remain hopeful, and also remain apologetic that I don’t possess the shader skills to contribute to those areas.

Well if you guys start the game independed onf jme (EntitySystem would be one way) you can just write the logic and stuff down, and only need to adjust the rendersystem later.

Beside that, programming against interfaces is never a bad idea.

I personally might overdooing it, but i mostly generate an interface for nearly everthing

I’m interested in a group programming project. However, my JME3 skill set is currently incomplete.

I think it’s great that you’re inspired to build something big using JME3, and I wish you well. Please keep us posted on your progress. Maybe I’ll join you later.

What makes this game stand out from DayZ and RUST? The PvP aspect was, for me, the biggest reason I spent hours and hours on DayZ, but obviously a good portion of potential players are put off by the exact same thing, or more often just the idea of it. How would you do it better?

I’m not saying I’m interested in helping, btw, I’m also not qualified and am busy with my own projects. But I am very interested to see where this goes, as DayZ has been on of my favorite games ever.

I do understand your point @toolforger so I’ll give some comparisons to what I have in mind, but, again, this is generic info. Idea stealing is almost a job into itself these days.

What I have in mind is an FPS, similar to the way those other games are (DayZ, WarZ, RUST), large world (half island, half blocked by mountain range) offering vast swath of unconquered land where players can claim a plot for themselves and do whatever they want (mostly).

Crafting, advancement, housing, skills, world persistence, different environments and… other stuff. :wink:

In the document I have written there are several things I’m touching on that I can’t really discuss here. That document isn’t finished. I’m tweaking, revising and adding to it.

Despite everything, if someone landed in Ochlocracy and wanted to play the way it is played in these other games, nothing would stop them technically… :smiley: It’s just that it wouldn’t work for long as the table would get turned pretty fast. By that I’m talking about mostly-griefing players. You just wouldn’t be able to lean and survive only using that.

@jayfella Well, I don’t know if you’ve seen the 3 games I’m talking about, but they’re all far from being close to being release candidates. As such, they have several “broken” (or not entirely working) graphical features. I’ve said it before: gameplay is king. Most people don’t give a rat’s ass if it’s not that beautiful as long as it’s fun to play.

As far as contributing to this project, I’m not entirely happy to have to set a “minimum requirement” for people to join, but it has to be done. Everyone of us has their strengths and weaknesses (and no, I’m not talking about making graphics here! :P), and the last thing we need is several people needing a constant oversight and “babysitting” because they don’t know Java or are mostly clueless about jME/the SDK. I certainly don’t expect everyone to be a one-man team.

As with these other games, the possibility of throwing that game out so it’s playable is relatively quick. You don’t need all the ingredients in the pot to give a taste of it to the community, and although the ultimate goal of doing that game isn’t the possible gain from it, but getting paid is rewarding.

One last thing: For those aware of the WarZ fiasco (later renamed “Infestation: Survivor Stories”), you will not see that kind of crap from me and I don’t intend to pull a Titov on anyone. For those not aware of what this is about, look it up on Google. :wink: That’s all I’ll say on this.

Anyway, that’s as far as I’ll got to describe the game in public. If you guys have other kind of questions, I’ll try to answer them.

@javagame said: What makes this game stand out from DayZ and RUST? The PvP aspect was, for me, the biggest reason I spent hours and hours on DayZ, but obviously a good portion of potential players are put off by the exact same thing, or more often just the idea of it. How would you do it better?

I’m not saying I’m interested in helping, btw, I’m also not qualified and am busy with my own projects. But I am very interested to see where this goes, as DayZ has been on of my favorite games ever.

All I’ll say in public is what’s been said here. I can’t add more without divulging too much.

But as I just posted, what you can do in DayZ (that I’ve seen anyhow) you should be able to do, to a certain extend, and you can be certain that the PvP will remain. It’ll just be differently handled.

“pull a Titov” good one

In general i would be interested in starting such a big project. Remaining issues should be cleared in a live chat on irc or somewhere ‘live’…

No matter how good your idea is - it’s very hard to get people to steal it :wink:

Don’t sacrifice success by keeping too many cards too close to your chest.

3 Likes

Alright then.

For now @zzuegg and @toolforger contacted me in private with a mild interest. :wink: It’s better than nothing I guess. :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously though, I’ll contact you guys soon. As for late comers, I’ll give you until tomorrow (Jan 9th '14) around noon to contact me if you’re interested in joining.

@zarch said: No matter how good your idea is - it's very hard to get people to steal it ;)

Don’t sacrifice success by keeping too many cards too close to your chest.

I’m an extremely cautious person. Given the fact that it’s happened to me before and that those games are actually in a late alpha, beta or anywhere else in-between (even if DayZ’s Hall say it’s been “released”), any fan of those games could pick those ideas up from here and submit them to the respective devs.

Odds are, it won’t happen, but still. That’s how I roll. Besides, if someone’s on the fence, it’s not that hard to ask for more info in private and make a call thereafter. I won’t risk to compromise everything just to satisfy the curiosity of some people. :slight_smile:

I’m in… if anyone could stand working with me for more than a couple minutes at a time.

EDIT: This will have ZOMBIES in it, right??! And not those fucking lame running ones. :wink:

On idea stealing, one could say that if the original inventor is too lazy to add the 90% hard work to make it happen despite having a substantial head start, it’s only fair if others who put in the extra work to overtake him reap the rewards.
That reasoning isn’t always valid, but zarch is right - there’s a price to keeping ideas secret, the creative process gives much faster and better results if you talk to others.

That said, I tend to err on the cautious side myself :wink:

1 Like
@toolforger said: On idea stealing, one could say that if the original inventor is too lazy to add the 90% hard work to make it happen despite having a substantial head start, it's only fair if others who put in the extra work to overtake him reap the rewards.

Not denying anything, but if some authors haven’t had that particular insight, or that spark of an idea and 'lo and behold! here’s an interesting concept! Yeah… that’s what I’m trying to avoid here. :slight_smile: