Gamepad input (TestJoystick) not working

I have two gamepads, an official xbox 360 controller, and a logitech gamepad that can switch between XInput and DirectInput modes (also a ps3 controller that I haven’t tested yet).
All three options are detected and work correctly in windows (8.1) but TestJoystick throws an “IllegalStateException: Cannot find any joysticks!” when I try to run it with any of them plugged in.

Any ideas?

For some reason, your joysticks are not showing up to JInput. I have no idea why, really.

I realize this is an incredibly vague problem, I was mostly hoping there were some common mistakes or issues that I’d missed.
Time to do some troubleshooting. I’ll start by trying to run some JInput code directly and see if it gives me some more information.

@pinecone said: I realize this is an incredibly vague problem, I was mostly hoping there were some common mistakes or issues that I'd missed. Time to do some troubleshooting. I'll start by trying to run some JInput code directly and see if it gives me some more information.

Could be a Win8 thing. Could be specific to these joysticks. It’s hard to say. I’ve plugged about 7 or 8 random joysticks in (of various quality, type, and price) to test the TestJoystick app when I wrote it… and they were always detected. JInput even detected things on my digital art pad.