General questions about Jme3

Hello everyone,

I’m very new here. I developed few 2d games previously, but never did a 3d game, however i have been documenting about 3d game engines since years now, but I discovered jme3 only recently. So I’m reading the book jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beginner’s Guide and I like it so far. But there are few things that I wanna ask you guys about this game engine, because I really like it, but is it really what am looking for? Depends on these questions:

• How long does it takes to fully master the engine?
  • I know that the graphics have nothing to do with the game engine, but is jme3 able to handle graphics at the same level as a crysis map for example?
  • is jme3 suitable for making commercial grade application and AAA titles?

I don’t want to compare jme3 with other game engines, as i’ve seen enough comparison already, but I do plan to go into the game development industry and I want to make sure if jme3 is the good deal to get started as newbie, and a game development company.

Thank you guys :slight_smile:

1. How long does it takes to fully master the engine?
  2. I know that the graphics have nothing to do with the game engine, but is jme3 able to handle graphics at the same level as a crysis map for example?
  3. is jme3 suitable for making commercial grade application and AAA titles?

1) Don’t know whats “mastering” for you.
2) Out of the box, normal mapping parallax mapping is supported. don’t know what else you need at graphics level.
3) commercial yes! AAA possible, but not out of the box

Since the core is open source, you can however add any feature you might require

I don’t want to compare jme3 with other game engines, as i’ve seen enough comparison already, but I do plan to go into the game development industry and I want to make sure if jme3 is the good deal to get started as newbie, and a game development company.

If you intend to start working for a big game company, i am not sure learning java will help that much.

1. Well in a few weeks you can understand mostly all basic concepts, a few more weeks for the basics opengl is based on, then another few weeks for the deep math if you are into that (helps but not necessary)

2. Well it can do all stuff crysis can do, however not everything is implemented,
    We have all indy game usual grafic effects however.
    About the map please keep in mind that for a typical video game around 80% of the work is creating assets if you do it the classical way.

3. Well yes, AAA requires usualyl some custom editing ot the negine anyway, but there is nothing stopping you from it.

Pro for jme from my point of view:
-> Free Linux and Mac version that actually works
-> Many high grade librarys for almost everything due to java also used in many business stuff
-> At least a better Garbage colector than Mono (read Unity, as it uses Mono)
-> Faster getting shit to work than in c++ (except you are really used to c++, then go unreal engine 4)

Keep in mind that games are a fun hobby, and basic opengl ect will work with java s well, however game devs usualyl use c++ & c# nowadays (due to unity)
However developing boring business application in Java is usually way better paid.

Also
(If you don’t get the image, I suggest reading a bit more about gamedev backgrounds, for example on gamasutra.com)

Thank you very much for your replies :slight_smile:

I already know java so that’s a big advantage for me to jump to jMonkey.

(If you don't get the image, I suggest reading a bit more about gamedev backgrounds, for example on gamasutra.com)
Unfortunately I do not get the image, so I'll check the website you gave me :)

I have another question in mind, could jME3 games be ported to consoles? :smiley: