General tools

Hi all!

Could you recommend me some tools for GUI editing, map/terrain editing and after that i can load it to JME?

I'am interested in commercial stuff too not just free tools.

But of course free tools is okay if can be use in commercial games.

I recommend GROME as a commercial terrain and map editor. It will handle creating the map, texturing and lightmapping. The resulting output can be used in jME with only minor tweaking.

You can also place stuff (scenery, spawn points etc.) in the scene and flag it so your game knows what it is.  This data is exported in a text file which is human readable.

Finally there is a plugin API to write your own stuff, though I haven’t worked with it (and it’s in C++).

It is not the most intuitive tool I’ve ever used and there are some drawbacks, but overall it is comfortably my choice.

Thanks. It looks very impressive.

Is it supports to creating huge maps?

You can also place stuff (scenery, spawn points etc.) in the scene

Can i do it with 3dstudio exported models?

It is capable of creating extremely large maps. Standard edition is limited to 4 zones of up to 1024x1024 resolution. That's still potentially hundreds of square kilometers at 10m/height sample. Pro edition is unlimited zones of any resolution, so basically just memory limited.

Models you import currently have to be in the COLLADA format, which is a downside right now. AFAIK other formats are on the todo list but don't hold your breath. On the bright side, the exporter doesn't make any assumptions about the format of the model so you are free to use any within jME. My approach is just to do a quick conversion to COLLADA for GROME - those models are just used for visually positioning stuff and generating shadows. Then I use my original models in jME. It's a bit of a chore doing the conversions, but nothing in the scheme of things.

I think the standard edition is enought now, because i want to create a test map for my rts.

Is there any tools for GUI editing too?

boci said:

I think the standard edition is enought now, because i want to create a test map for my rts.

Edit:
How can i make an in-game 3D GUI panel?
For example: a monitor with some buttons and other input on it's screen which controlls a car's speed.
Like this: http://www.neoaxisgroup.com/files/demo09.jpg
boci said:

boci said:

Edit:
How can i make an in-game 3D GUI panel?
For example: a monitor with some buttons and other input on it's screen which controlls a car's speed.
Like this: http://www.neoaxisgroup.com/files/demo09.jpg

This can be done in JME Desktop using swing components. Although I don't know the feasibility of using this for non-GUI elements such as having multiple terminals scattered about a level. Though it should be fine for what you're thinking of (a sort of cockpit with buttons that can be clicked). I'm sure there are clever solutions out there though, for example in some games out there (Half Life comes to mind) you're able to toggle light switches that look nothing more than textures.

I see.

And if i want only a simple map for start?

Could you advise a free for that? Just a simple RTS map.

For example can i use monkeyworld?

I want a "god-view"camera on a map that containts some hills, water and some natural elements…