Getting a terrain to show up

I have made a terrain using the terrain editor and it shows up in my project assets as a .j3o file. When I try to use it, it will not appear in my simple game and the triangle count in the stats show that it is not loading. In the tutorials, I am told that I must use a heightmap and code all the textures and lights, but in the documentation I am told I can add lights and textures in the scene editor. Because of this, I am not sure why there is a terrain editor, since it creates an object and not a height map and the tutorials state that I should be using a heightmap image and doing everything by writing lines of code. Can anyone help me understand what is going on? I can post my test program if you like.

Thanks,

Matt

The terrain editor is doing everything that the code in the examples do. It saves a complete terrain, incl. heightmap and texture info. Then you can load it like any model into your game, without having to set up anything in-code.

Normen is correct, the editor makes you a model that you load into your game. The terrain is part of the whole scene. You don’t have to do anything else regarding heightmaps or alpha maps.

Thanks, that helps! :slight_smile: Now I just have to figure out why it isn’t showing up. :stuck_out_tongue: As far as I can tell my code is fine, would it be ok if I posted it here to see if someone can spot what I am doing wrong?

Thanks again!

No light?

sure you can post it here

I added a light to the root node, in the scene editor, do I need to add another? Also, the stats only show about 400 triangles, so I don’t think that is it. Here is my code:

package mygame;

//basic stuff
import com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication;
import com.jme3.renderer.RenderManager;
import com.jme3.scene.Spatial;

/**
* test
* @author normenhansen
*/
public class Main extends SimpleApplication {

public static void main(String[] args) {
Main app = new Main();
app.start();
}

private Spatial scene_model;

@Override
public void simpleInitApp() {
scene_model = assetManager.loadModel("Scenes/TerrainTest.j3o");
}

@Override
public void simpleUpdate(float tpf) {
//TODO: add update code
}

@Override
public void simpleRender(RenderManager rm) {
//TODO: add render code
}
}

You don’t attach the model to the rootNode…

You haven’t attached your scene to the root node yet.

damn, normen is beating me by mere seconds!

Doh! I thought:

scene_model = assetManager.loadModel(“Scenes/TerrainTest.j3o”);

did that for me, my bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again for all the help! :slight_smile:

Oops, one more question: if I add a rigid body controller in the scene editor I don’t have to add another one via code, right?

No, but you have to add it to the physics space, you can do physicsSpace.addAll((Node)loadedModel);

Excellent! Thanks again. :slight_smile: