Getting jME up and running

Hi there,

…my first post…

first of all you should know (but you’ll probably notice soon notice anyway) that I’m still rather new to java. I’ve never tried to develop a game before so I guess my view of things shouldn’t be taken to objectively. Yet. But what I’ve seen so far from jME has impressed me.

Now my problem:

I’ve tried to install jME by downloading the source code via CVS and compiled it with ANT on SuSE Linux 9.2. But now I don’t know what to do next. Where do I find the .jar(?) files? And can I use them on Windows, too? Or do I need to recompile them with ANT on Windows?

I can’t get my graphics card (Radeon 9700PRO) working on Linux in 3D mode, so I neen to transfer the files to Windows. On Windows I can’t get WinCVS or ANT working so I needed to do those proceses on Linux…

So what is the next step for me now?

(I’ve got LWJGL 0.94 installed and it works fine).

Thank’s in advance, Nark

Welcome :slight_smile:

But now I don't know what to do next.

Have you got an IDE (e.g. eclipse) up and running?

Where do I find the .jar(?) files?

jme.jar is outputted in the target directory of your cvs checkout.

And can I use them on Windows, too?

Yes, the jars are platform independant, but the native libs (the DLL's, SO's etc.) arn't.

I can't get my graphics card (Radeon 9700PRO) working on Linux in 3D mode

In case the online update didn't find the correct drivers, you can download them from http://www.ati.com/

Hope that helps.

My advise to you is, to install a current version of the eclipse IDE. Then

create a new project and copy the jME sources into the workspace of the project. Now set the classpath. Set also the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the native lwjgl libraries. After this you should be able to run all the demos.

For the problems with your ATI graphics card i have no real idea. Maybe you have to download the current driver from the ATI website. I think Suse 9.2 does not contain the driver, because of license reasons. Hope, this helps you. :slight_smile:

You need to point your path to the lwjgl.so file. You can do this in a variety of ways: move the file to a location that your path points to, add the location to your PATH variable, or add the following flag to your java command to run it, -Djava.library.path=./lib (if your .so file is in the lib directory relative to your current working directory).

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=47

might have some of the answers you are looking for.

Ok, I’ve searched the jME directory downloaded via CVS and found liblwjgl.so and liblwjgl.so.

Searching the jre and jdk directories didn’t tell me where .so files usualy go, because there simply are none.

So where do they go and what are they fore anyway?

I’ve put them into the lib directories but that didn’t improve my situation.

You need to point your path to the lwjgl.so file. You can do this in a variety of ways: move the file to a location that your path points to, add the location to your PATH variable, or add the following flag to your java command to run it, -Djava.library.path=./lib (if your .so file is in the lib directory relative to your current working directory).

Aha! You are on Windows now. Then you should use the DLL’s instead of the SO’s.

Hi,

updating to lwjgl-linux-0.96 helped.

Demos are running now.