Going to build a gaming PC

So…I’m going to treat myself with something non-apple and build a little gaming machine. Was wondering what people think about my shopping list so far (any tips, critique etc?):

GeForce GTX 580

Intel i7 990x

Intel X58 ATX Motherboard

2000 GB SATA II hard drive

Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1866Mhz

Forgot to mention that nVidia should put a new architecture card in September so if you’re into that kind of thing and want/like the bleeding edge, you might want to get a “cheaper” card for now. The GTX 460 is pretty solid (and cheap) last I heard.

Also, I presume you’ll be going the Windows way. So get Win7 Home Premium in the least (or preferably Ultimate), don’t get Basic.

Why not to go for LGA1155 processor and sata3?

Have a look at these for ideas:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-unlock-build-a-pc-overclock,2893.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-sandy-bridge-build-a-pc-overclocking,2876.html

i recommend you the i7 2600k. infinite power, huge overclock potential and i think a lot cheaper? :slight_smile: if you want an geforce gtx xxx, i recommend you the phantom series from gainward. i use the gtx 570 phantom and there’s also a lot of potential, since the cooling is just awesome.

oh, there’s one problem with the sandy bridge processors, you can’t use tri-channel ram as far as i know.

I sugget using a SSD (like Vertex2 from OCZ 60GB) for the OS + applications and java workspace.

(Ever build jme in less than 5 seconds?)

I got one myself and while it really increases percived speed.

Also I prefer AMD normally since the cost/performance ration is far better and my money is usually not unlimited ^^

EmpirePhoenix said:
Also I prefer AMD normally since the cost/performance ration is far better and my money is usually not unlimited ^^

^^^ Indeed. I just built two 6 core AMD beasts for about $800 each. And that was with a GTX 460 taking 1/4 of the price. Sourced all of the parts from amazon and they arrived the next day. It was a beautiful thing. :)

Consider going for 2xGTX560 in SLI instead of GTX580. Last time I have checked, they gave a lot more punch for similar price.

Also stay mainstream, the more exotic your configuration there more strange errors, simply because it’s not tested that good. (And also because manufactureres first fix stuff that helps the most customers)

Never have been an Intel motherboard fan. They seem to have many quirks with gaming. Asus, EVGA, Gigabytes are solid performers.

As for CPUs, I bought a 2600K a couple of months back and I’m loving it.

Don’t be fooled by DDR3 memory. Get the 1333 (or what they call 10666/10700 depends on who you ask, anyway they run at 667 MHz). Everything above that is hype mostly. The cost difference isn’t worth the money, increase in performance is minimal. I personally love G.Skill. Got 16 GB (4x4GB).

Either get a SSD drive for OS and one for games (if you can afford it but very pricy). If not, get a 7200 RPMs. Nothing below that or load times will suffer. HDs are the slowest part of any system, keep that in mind. SATA 3/USB 3 will become mainstream in a year or two, better hop on that wagon as the increase in speed is really worth it and it’s backward compatible so… :slight_smile:

As for video cards, well… Let’s not start a flame war/fanboys war on that. It’s mostly a matter of preferences. I now dislike ATI deeply, they always had problems with drivers. I own a GTX 480 that I bought the day it was out and couldn’t be happier. Don’t forget, more memory is best. Try not to get a vid card with below 1 GB or memory (it IS fast memory on those things DDR5).

Lastly, if you can get parts that are in the motherboard’s Qualified Parts list. Since these parts have been tested with that motherboard it’s one less worry about compatibility. It’s not mandatory, but try if you can.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Also get a 64bit one, I have one running since I set my system up, and never had any real compability issues.

Wow, I didn’t expect so many fast responses. Thanks guys!!

So, my shopping list changed considerably for the better :slight_smile:

“Indeed. I just built two 6 core AMD beasts for about $800 each.”

Wow! Sexy.

" I now dislike ATI deeply,"

Yea? Never had driver issues under Linux - yet again, I always went for the low-end stuff. nVidia used to be a pain when running Linux.

“Lastly, if you can get parts that are in the motherboard’s Qualified Parts list”

I hadn’t thought about that. Thanks!

Wow, I didn’t expect so many fast responses. Thanks guys!!

So, my shopping list changed considerably for the better :slight_smile:

javatar said:
"Indeed. I just built two 6 core AMD beasts for about $800 each."
Wow! Sexy.

I started looking to upgrade one of the machines I let the kids use... and then I ran across this:
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Six-Core-Processor-HDT90ZFBGRBOX/dp/B003FVI2KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307035560&sr=8-1

After that it was hard not to build a machine for myself and give the kids my old one. :) I spent almost that much just on the power supply.
1 Like

Very nice price tag! Wish it would have been that low in February. :confused: I might have gone back to AMD.

I’m for AMD. I really hate intel, since all their stuff is crazily overpriced, and they change the socket layout with every new generation (new motherboards every upgrade? god dammit). Instead, you can get the highest end AMD for $200. Its the Phenom II 1100T. 6 core, 3.3 ghz, turboboost to 3.7 ghz, i think its like 8 mb total cache or something. Look it up. I just got it, its amazing. You won’t need anything more powerful unless you plan to do stuff like major calculations, but for that you would probably need a farm anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m not sure about the choice between fastest Phenom X6 and fastest Phenom X4. X6 is winning in truly multi-threaded comparions (ray tracing etc), but is similar or slightly slower in other cases. For example, for games

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/9

it is slightly slower on average, even given magic turbo boost technology.

I think that as far as games are concerned, you will gain more by putting 60-80$ you are going to save by getting X4 into improving graphic card - more memory, faster model, etc (for example getting 2x 560 2GB instead of 2x560 1GB cards).

With unlimited budget go for Intel.

1 Like

Actually I would not use any dual card system. Simply because the drivers needs to be changed for it to work properly. While all mainstream are usually good supported, any more exotic games are not always working good.

1 Like