gonp3d

Hello everyone, I’ve finally created my first game using the jMonkey engine ^-^

The game most likely still has bugs for me to fix, and other things to upgrade in the future.

I’ll post it here: Link to file

As a tip: Hitting the ball while going down will “spike” it, causing it to speed up on the y-axis.

Hitting the ball while going up will stabilize it on the x-axis.

1 Like

Sorry, here’s the link to the game: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20055348/GONP3D+v0.1.zip

oO Its like 155MB! Huge… :smiley:

I get an error when I try to run it tho:

Exception in thread "main" java.util.NoSuchElementException
at java.util.Scanner.throwFor(Scanner.java:838)
at java.util.Scanner.next(Scanner.java:1461)
at java.util.Scanner.nextInt(Scanner.java:2091)
at java.util.Scanner.nextInt(Scanner.java:2050)
at capstone.files.GONP3D.getMode(GONP3D.java:73)

Btw I fixed the link in the first post.. There was no text in the tag..

Thnx for the fix.

It seems that I can’t use Scanner for my inputs :confused:

It works fine on my end though, u did run it from the start.bat correct?

No, I am on OSX, I double-clicked the jar file… But now I started it via command line using “java -jar ./GONP3d.jar” and it works… Why do you take the input about how to set up the game from command line? I think thats why it didn’t work. A swing window or something to input that information would be better IMHO… Also, 150MB for sounds is overdoing it a bit, don’t you think? ^^ Try compressing at least the music tracks to ogg format :wink:

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ll compress the audio in the next version. The reason I didn’t use a swing window is simply because I haven’t learned how to yet. Learning it should be quite easy though, and I should be able to get it down fairly quickly.

As far as why I chose to do it from command line, I was pressed for time. What you see before you is a simple game I’ve made for my final school project. I thought that it was due today, and so I rushed to get the input in last night (hence, the command console window). Now, however, I know that I have more than a week before the project is due :slight_smile:

So yea, version 0.2 will have compressed audio, and a swing window for selecting the mode and difficulty.

Once again, thanks for the constructive feedback.

Back again, version 0.2 of GONP3D has finally been finished. It now has compressed audio, a GUI for Mode and Difficulty selection, and a new difficulty.

Download it here

I think there’s something wrong with the link you provided.

How so?

Try the direct link then: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20152188/GONP3D_v0_2.zip

@stealthyjaz : I can’t download it too …

What 's about a Mediafire link ? The website look really weird when I click in the link, maybe it’s under construction state…

Ok, I’ll upload it to Mediafire later. Right now I’m at school, but I can upload it when I get home.

Download works for me and the game also works :slight_smile:

I just got some suggestions:

1. I already lost a couple of times after a new round starts, because I didn’t realize that it starts right away. Maybe you could add sth like “Press Space to start” after you lost.

2. The Ball looks kind of edgy and not really round.

3. Sometimes the ball becomes REALLY slow and I’ve to wait a long time until it reached the opponent. A minimum speed would probably help.

And after I lost a entire Game, I can’t restart it without closing the game.

Other than that I had fun playing it :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll add your suggestions to the list of things to-do.

1. I’ve got this feedback from a lot of my peers. I’ll probably add not only a “Press Start to begin”, but also the ability to restart after losing or winning.

2. Well, the “ball” is actually the “Cube of Power” as defined in the Story of the readme :slight_smile: I may add the ability to select what type of ball to play with (rotating cube, static cube, or sphere).

3. I think I fixed this problem in my computer science course last period, but I can’t upload it from the school’s network :frowning: I’ll upload v0.21 with this fix when I get home.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It all contributes to helping me improve my game ^-^ (and getting an ‘A’ for this game’s corresponding project :stuck_out_tongue: ).

As promised, here’s the link for v0.21 (with ball speed fix). GameFront is currently having upload errors, so only the MediaFire link is up.

MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8tmqaa4kd220cmw/GONP3Dv0_21.zip

Works good for me. :slight_smile:

The enemies are way too strong already at easy difficulty! :smiley:

Worked just fine on Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, GeForce 8600M GT.

I agree with @InShadow , I need an even dumber opponent! :stuck_out_tongue: A nice touch with the music/SFX and end-screen :slight_smile: Though in the end freeze screen there seemed to be a slightly odd visual (bug?) in that the screen is filled red and so all I can see is my own “player”. It just doesn’t look right.

Well, as far as the end screen is concerned, it isn’t a bug :smiley: Basically, these two paddles are dueling for control of the “Dark Void”. When one of the paddle’s power level becomes high enough, they take over the void with their color (its power exceeds the limit that its paddle can hold).

As far as the difficulty, I can make an easier difficulty if you guys want one. This project started as a game with a single difficulty (now “Normal”), but I made a hard mode for myself (since no one at the time could beat normal except me :S). I eventually decided to make an easy mode that was easier than normal.

With practice, you start to be able to go up the difficulty meter; trust me, I’ve played this at least 100 times while “debugging”, and now I can beat Hard :slight_smile:

Impossible though… Kudos to who ever can beat that :smiley:

This update fixes the ball speed for 2-Player. It was fixed for AI-Mode, but while playing 2-Player today I noticed that the ball’s speed would slow dramatically. I moved the code that enforces a minimum speed from the ai() method to the universal ball_direction() method.

GameFront: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20159708/GONP3Dv0_212_zip

MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/?4eglu7rdw2zvsuv

At some point in time, I hope to make an online mode for this game. I would be hosting a master server, but one would be able to connect to any ip for a game against a friend. I’m not expecting to finish it soon though, since I’m only just now getting started on learning about sockets :stuck_out_tongue: