Grappling Hook

Hi, :slight_smile:

Empire Phoenix said:

Hey, this looks kinda nice, hope you finish it soon

I aim to finish the game within the next 2 months. (average case scenario) :)

On the project website is a new progess update with a current screenshot: http://www.speedrungames.com/

Cya, :)
JackNeil

That looks phenomenal!!  :-o Can't wait.

Very cool! Looks a bit like Tron 2.0 :wink:

Looking forward to play the demo!

Regards

Looks Awesome!

Can you give some info on how you did your HUD.  Is the Hook Cannon a 3D model or is it a 2D picture?

Also are you using StandardGame or BaseGame

Also what model format are you exporting from blender

Thank you very much, nymon, snareoj2 and gbluntzer. :slight_smile:

gbluntzer said:

Is the Hook Cannon a 3D model or is it a 2D picture?

The Hook Cannon is a 3D model. When shooting it will also move a bit.

gbluntzer said:

Also are you using StandardGame or BaseGame

I extended BaseGame.
But I'm also using the CVS version of the engine and that is jME 1.0. I once tried to upgrade to 2.0, but there was a runtime bug I didn't understand. JME 1.0 is just working fine for me, so I did not invest more time switching to 2.0.

gbluntzer said:

Also what model format are you exporting from blender

I'm using the 3DS format, but I think some other formats would be also fine for static geometry.

on the project website is a new weekly update with 2 screenshots.

Topic this week: The Menu! :wink:

http://www.speedrungames.com/

Thanks for any feedback, :slight_smile:

JackNeil

Very nice menu :slight_smile:

Jesus you're good. How many games have you made before? Your artistic eye is incredible.

Thank you :slight_smile: blush

What you see on the screenshots is the product of 4 iterations. After each iteration I asked at least 4 people for their option and suggestions.  ( Also one professional artist and a screen designer. )

I'm not a professional artist, so I copied menu-elements from Quake 3, Quake 4, Mass Effect and Metroid Prime. What they do has to be good. :slight_smile:

Copy+Paste+Modify is sometimes the best solution. :slight_smile:

I implemented the UI and UI-System for Velvet Assassin, so hopefully I have learned a bit there about interface design. :slight_smile:

So do you work for Replay Studios?

I left Replay Studios after we finished Velvet Assassin.

Freelance only now?

I have to pass one exam to get my Bachelor in Computational Visualistics, so partly I'm still a student.

Most of my time I'm working on Grappling Hook. I hope the revenues will be enough so I can be a fulltime-indie and don`t have to do other jobs.

Sounds like a good plan. If you want another play-tester, I'd love the opportunity.

Trussell said:

If you want another play-tester, I'd love the opportunity.

Thank you for your offer. :)
But till now I only make tests where I sit beside the tester and take notes.
I like this, because the result is not only a list of likes/dislikes/bugs/ideas, but I can see the emotions in the players face, where he has problems, what is too easy, what he tries out... I can ask what he is thinking. ( Players have sometimes very ... creative theories about game mechanics or puzzels. ^^ )
And the discussions after the sessions are very fertile.

Haha very well. (I just can't wait to play… hahaha)

Very, very, cool. Wonderful job.  :-o

Just a couple questions:

Do you take damage from hitting objects at high speeds and/or squishing?

Are there any enemy type objects? What you have looks very cool, but adding a reactive component to the levels could be interesting…

Lastly, what are all the different things the grappling hook can do/are there any other gadgets?

I really loved Portal, and it looks like this game could maybe be just as awesome. Keep it up!

Hey Pigman, :slight_smile:

Pigman said:

Do you take damage from hitting objects at high speeds and/or squishing?

You suffer no damage when you squash against walls, but you can die when you are squeezed between two blocks. I love it when a tester gets squeezed to death the first time. :D

Pigman said:

Are there any enemy type objects? What you have looks very cool, but adding a reactive component to the levels could be interesting...

Turrents are on my todo-list. :)

Pigman said:

Lastly, what are all the different things the grappling hook can do/are there any other gadgets?

The grappling hook only shots hooks, but you can use it in various ways. A bit MacGyverism. :)
You can jump of walls while hooking, use the acceleration of the hook to fly very far, activate triggers with the hooks.... and perhaps you will find a new use case, which will enable you to bypass some puzzels and beat the highscore. :)
Sometimes the positions or timeframes, where a successfull shot is possible are very small and that is a big part of the challange.
There are still a bunch of ideas for puzzels and levels I have not tried out yet. :)

One of my goals is to create extremly dynamic levels. I designed the level editor and the level format to make this very easy. It is no problem to animate every block of a level. I hope this will give the game a unique feeling.

i finished the turrets. There is a screenshot on the project website and some details about the implementation: http://www.speedrungames.com/

What do you think: Should the turret have a real voice or beep like R2D2?

Cya, :slight_smile:

JackNeil

I would prefer the talking one, best with a vocoder-effect on the voice but probably less harmless-sounding then in portal although i really liked the "cute" turrets idea :slight_smile: Plus it can just talk gibberish in an unknown language, where the emphasis/agression of the voice tells you what state it's in, EG. "searching/alarmed", "enemy spotted" or "back to idle" - if you have those states that is :slight_smile: Else TTS systems are pretty good by now and can add a nice mechanic accent to it.

Well, just my two cents :slight_smile: Nice progress btw!

If you need someone to make it sound vocoderlike, i would offer to do the job… well if the voicesample is provided :stuck_out_tongue: