GSoC 2014 – Meet jME SoC

Google Summer of Code 2014 is upon us, and we’re back for another beating :stuck_out_tongue: But we’re doing it a bit differently this time:

Introducing: jME SoC!

The idea has been floated a couple times before, and it’s time to give it a go. We’re gonna do our own summer of code initiative alongside GSoC. Put simply, we’re gonna piggyback the GSoC rules & framework to minimize overhead.

Updates:

How it’s gonna work:

• We put up our own 3 project spots with a $250 reward each (enough for a Nexus 7). These projects are guaranteed to happen (provided we get qualified applicants), regardless of GSoC acceptance.
  • We use the GSoC rules & structure. They gotta submit weekly updates and commit to milestone targets just like in GSoC, and failure to comply with the rules can result in breach of contract - be it an actual contract or the honor system.
  • Accepted GSoC orgs are announced 24th of February.
    • If we're accepted, students will apply through the GSoC system. Non-students will apply through our own special form. Say we get 3 spots in GSoC. Then 3 ideas will be selected for GSoC stipends, while an additional 3 will be run independently by us as jME SoC projects (and students and non-students alike will "compete" equally for those spots)
    • If we're not accepted, we make our own student application process and pick the top 3 ideas for participation in jME SoC.

All Summer of Code projects will follow the GSoC timeline and structure

Plan for funds

Plan A: We do a “jME SoC mini-crowdfunding” when the projects are well underway and we have progress to show. If this goes well, we can organise this type of event more frequently.

Plan B: If the fundraiser fails, we take it from the common funds.

The application deadline is 14. February, so keep an eye on this thread if you wanna be involved as we’ll be moving fast. Next up is gathering mentors and establishing a kick-ass ideas list. These will have their own threads.

10 Likes

4th time’s a charm :slight_smile: good luck! Hope we can finally make it this time. And Plan B sounds good as well :slight_smile:

@wezrule said: 4th time's a charm (...)
I think we might have had a half-hearted go at it in 2010 as well, which makes this attempt #5, but honestly I've lost count so I'm not sure :P

Cool thing about the jMESoC concept is that whether or not we’re accepted for GSoC, we’re gonna have ourselves some projects and mentoring, so all our work getting ideas together, lining up mentors and reviewing student applications won’t be for nothing no matter what.

Sounds great, especially since we are not tied to acceptance this time :slight_smile:

What are some ideas that someone like me with intermediate java and gpu programming could do? Is there going to be an ideas thread?

@8Keep123 said: What are some ideas that someone like me with intermediate java and gpu programming could do? Is there going to be an ideas thread?
Right, good point. I'm still polishing it and adding ideas, but do feel free to have a look and let us know if you see anything that interests you: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/soc/2014-ideas/

Having our own code for retargeting (and sharing) animations should go on the list, its a feature thats often needed when games get more complex.

1 Like
@normen said: Having our own code for retargeting (and sharing) animations should go on the list, its a feature thats often needed when games get more complex.
True! forgot about that one...
@normen said: Having our own code for retargeting (and sharing) animations should go on the list, its a feature thats often needed when games get more complex.

Could you explain this?

@8Keep123 said: Could you explain this?

It’s been added to the list under “BVH Animation” http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/soc/2014-ideas/

you really ought to make this a forum wide sticky so it gets notice, a lot of us kind of mentally block out the sidebar

Sure, done :slight_smile:

Wuuah, we did it!

Go here:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/list/public/google/gsoc2014

Type in “jMonkey” in the name thingy or go to page 2.

Savour the moment.

4 Likes

Hurray \o/
that’s great news!

We will know how many student stipends they grant us by 10th of April. That’ll depend partially on how many student applications we get, so I hope we’ll see a large volume of applicants when we put the call out. Of course, new projects never get a huge amount anyhow.

Still, this is friggin’ awesome! And remember, jME SoC is still a go. Students who apply for GSoC will automatically be eligible for jME SoC as well. Since we can also accept non-students, I’ll have to set up a separate form as well.

Coming up next:

• Proper announcement
  • More general info, esp. for students
  • jME SoC signup form

It’s not too late to sign up as a (backup-)mentor.

1 Like

How much in funds do you require?

@avpeacock said: How much in funds do you require?
For jMESoC? $750 to cover a $250 bounty for three separate projects. If we manage to raise more than that we'll either increase the bounty per project or even add more projects if we've got enough mentors for it.

And just to be clear, for GSoC we require nothing :wink:

This is great news, I’ve been messing with jme for a while now; will definitely apply to help.

Found any ideas you like from the list yet @GNima , or do you have some of your own?

@erlend_sh said: For jMESoC? $750 to cover a $250 bounty for three separate projects. If we manage to raise more than that we'll either increase the bounty per project or even add more projects if we've got enough mentors for it.

And just to be clear, for GSoC we require nothing :wink:

Urg, sorry completely missed that information in your post. Serves me right for responding on my phone.

I’ll donate 100$ in three weeks time if funds are still required :).