GSoC 2014 – Meet jME SoC

Just saw this now… CONGRATS TEAM!!!

I would love to help out, but not too sure what I could help on. How is the team looking thus far?

@erlend_sh said: Found any ideas you like from the list yet @GNima , or do you have some of your own?

Integrating google play services and/or developing android/ios demo app.

1 Like
@avpeacock said: I'll donate 100$ in three weeks time if funds are still required :).
Greatly appreciated!
@KonradZuse said: How is the team looking thus far?
There is no team. And there won't be one until 18th of April, when all the accepted applicants have been paired up with a mentor.

More info here:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/soc/

Hello,
first of all congratulation ! :slight_smile: this is a great opportunity for jme to grow and be more cool than ever! . I have a question : can i still submit a project for Gosc ? I want to propose nifty-editor as @atomix suggested here :

@atomix said:
@relucri hi i’m on a short holiday right now so can not reply with much detail. May be i will post some screenshot in satuday as i get back .I just know we got accept for the gsoc 2014, why dont just make a entry with nifty editor

and what should i do to submit ? just an other post on User’s code and project ?

best regards, Cris :slight_smile:

It’s enough to just state your interest for now :slight_smile: We begin accepting formal applications 10. March.

You’re a student, right? This would have a much higher chance of getting accepted if we can count on @void256 to mentor you though.

Thank for the quick reply! yes I’am a student :slight_smile: .I’l try to get in touch with @void256 and ask him if he wants to help ! :slight_smile:

Void has just accepted! :slight_smile: so after 10 march i’ll need to sing up on google code or here ? I’m bit confusing about how the ideas submission works …

I’ll post more information about it shortly :slight_smile: If I don’t find the time for it today, I probably won’t have anything up until Sunday at the earliest.

Hi,

I’m just wondering who would be best to advise me on preparing a GSoC proposal for the ‘Steer AI Port’ idea? I’m very interested in this project. I have a PhD in cog science / analytic philosophy of mind and I’m currently enrolled on an MSc in software engineering.

Would appreciate any advice on this,

thanks

@shoga said: I'm just wondering who would be best to advise me on preparing a GSoC proposal for the 'Steer AI Port' idea?
I'm gonna be typing up a general purpose application guide this weekend. In the meantime just get to know jME3 as well as possible :) Also communicate with @sevarac and figure out if there could be a place for the Steer AI port in his AI engine.

I should mention that the porting of the Steer AI library was a rather impromptu suggestion of my making, and I have not researched it carefully, so anyone interested in doing it would also have to invest time in figuring out what exactly it’s useful for.

ok, thanks for getting back to me. I’ll follow this up with @sevarac and I’ll look into OpenSteer some more.

So where are we supposed to express interest in helping out? :smiley:

@sleaker said: So where are we supposed to express interest in helping out? :D
Right here is just fine for now :D Got any particular project(s) in mind yet?

We now have an application template with many helpful pointers on how to best prepare for SoC.

3 Likes

Thanks! very clear and explanatory ! I’m going to start working on it from today :slight_smile:

I should mention that the porting of the Steer AI library was a rather impromptu suggestion of my making, and I have not researched it carefully, so anyone interested in doing it would also have to invest time in figuring out what exactly it’s useful for.

That could be great. We have dona simple basic agent framewrok, and putting a set of typical behaviours / steers would put the pieces together and make it usefull. Here are some links that might be usefull
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/

http://opensteer.sourceforge.net/

@sevarac said: That could be great. We have dona simple basic agent framewrok, and putting a set of typical behaviours / steers would put the pieces together and make it useful

Hi @sevarac

I mentioned both here and on the AI Engine forum that I’m really interested in putting together a GSoC proposal on this. I’ve been reading up on steering behaviours quite a bit recently, and tinkering with OpenSteer. I’m wondering how you would expect this to integrate with the AI engine and/or any navigation system? Regarding the latter, my thinking would be that steering is different from, and should be kept separate from, navigation, because it’s about simulating realistic behaviour on the journey, rather than plotting the course. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

Please continue the broader AI discussion in the AI Engine topic :slight_smile: I’m sure sevarac will get back to you as soon as he’s available again.

@erlend_sh said: We now have an application template with many helpful pointers on how to best prepare for SoC.

Very cool, any chance the topic in the IRC can get updated with this info?

@sleaker said: Very cool, any chance the topic in the IRC can get updated with this info?
Ehm, sure, if I can find the channel and somehow get permissions to edit it :P It's a completely unofficial channel which we have no control over, but I'll try start hanging out there a bit for the sake of GSoC ;)

If you have a jabber client it’s easier to add jmechat@jaconda.im and chat that way. I’ll be making that chatbot more public shortly.