GSoC 2015 is here - Should we participate?

Substance could be a really nice addition.
Though it doesn’t just need a loader, we need to account for the “dynamic” nature of it in the engine itself, and maybe provide some UI as they have in UE4 and Unity.

If it comes to life I’ll contact the guys from Allegorithmics, and se what we can work out.

1 Like

That could be really great ! And a good opportunity to bring Jme in front of the game engine scene with PBR things.

Substance, Quixel, PopconFX, PhysX,… no many powerfull tools that exists for other commercial GameEngine

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT: But first, I have to learn Blender and some powerfull addons

Please start adding your ideas to the 2015 GSoC Ideas List.

Oh it comes out that the discussions that followed my post cover pretty much anything I would’ve want to ask :smile: and the ideas list you created too. I will have to think about an idea if I have one.

Could you please elaborate on this one? When you purchase an asset from Unity store don’t you get the fbx file?

And about improvements in the asset pipeline in general.

Could you please elaborate on this one? What were the pitfalls you were facing and how your team solved it?

I would like like to participate as well. Have made a quite nice game Temple Outrun: Lava , joined this community in 2009.

I would definitely love to develop/improve stuff within jme, whether it be a sample game, blender plugin or something else.

Let’s see, I will think about some topics and post them to the idea list tomorrow.

Well improvements in general (my opinion):

→ For commercial models it is quite common to simply have a all in one animation, plus a readme that say frame 0-101 walk 102-200 run ect. A programmatical way to split animations for jme would be nice. (plus maybee gui in sdk for this?)
→ Generally all model loaders do not allow to add a custom material hook, instead it is always necessary to do a later iteration step over the whole model, replacing the materials with the own ones. (becomes an issue when the jme material losses data already, one example are some blender material settings that can be read by the loader but do not map to general jme materials)
→ apart from that some features that apparently seem to work in unity does not work when going the .blend file way.
Maybee its possible to implement at least a few more commonly used ones.

We have that in the SDK. right click an anim and choose Extract sub animation in the popup menu.

Oh, i never noticed :smile:

I’d like to participate . Actually I applied last year for the cinematic editor , and although I got a very good feedback from @nehon , I wasn’t accepted … I didn’t contribute to jme since then as I got my self envolved in other stuff ,although I had some time about 3 months ago playing with the engine and revising what I’d learnt before . As I see this seems to be a problem . I guess I will try again any way this year with hope , though :))

1 Like

I actually screenshot @nehon’s message back then and still have it , that’s a good thing knowing private messages haven’t been migrated :smiley:

I’d LOVE to participate I’m in love with JME3 and working on an application for ordering food (a clone of apps like grubhub, hellofood) making my own gui elements (scrollers, panels…) I’m a 2nd year student of Computer Science Ing. regardless if I am admitted or not I hope we participate and rock the stage even further this year.