Gta clone with jME

I was searching for a long time for an engine on which I can create a game like GTA. The game is not for a comerzial purpose, so there is no need to use the latest graphic, physic and other stuf. The game should work realy simple the graphics and physics like would be satisfiable. The main aim is a posibility to load huge map with diferent vehicles and weapons. It schould be posible to walk and drive vehicles on the map and use weapons. No idea how dificult it´ll be to do something like that on jME. Is there may be some existing solutions for such a game?

Well i am a beginner in JME but what i learned from JME its that you can create any type of games, of course in 3D, you can create a GTA game in JME but the dificulty its all about you and your learning skills, i dont know about 2D games with sprites if it possible.

Should be possible,

however keep in mind that in a game like gta most work is actually creating the world, and not programming the logic :slight_smile:

Creating the world is not the problem, the map and all other models already exist, they have just to be converted to a format suitable for jME. For me the logic is a biger problem. However loading a map and then walk or even drive there would be a great succes for me.
When I was talking about GTA, I meand a 3D game like GTA San Andreas and not 2D game like the 2 first GTA games.

Theres more to it than models. Theres loads of metadata in the GTA map. Things like “this is a door” or “this is a road” and stuff like that.

@gtafan said: Creating the world is not the problem, the map and all other models already exist, they have just to be converted to a format suitable for jME. For me the logic is a biger problem. However loading a map and then walk or even drive there would be a great succes for me. When I was talking about GTA, I meand a 3D game like GTA San Andreas and not 2D game like the 2 first GTA games.

Keep in mind you need to split the city into sectors, and need really hard lod for further away sectors. (As there is no sense in rendering stuff smaller than a few pixels anyway)
-> Eg 3d balcony with rails -> cube with semi transaprent rail texture -> and finally just embedded into the house texture

Technically at least jme should not make problems
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/2009/08/poisonville-jme-based-mmo-plays-with-the-big-boys/

As far as I understood it the rendering itself was one of the least of their problems, also if I remeber right that was with jme2 wich had way more issues than jme3 has.

@normen said: Theres more to it than models. Theres *loads* of metadata in the GTA map. Things like "this is a door" or "this is a road" and stuff like that.
Loads should also be not a big problem, I just have to convert them to from original GTA.
@Empire Phoenix said: Keep in mind you need to split the city into sectors, and need really hard lod for further away sectors. (As there is no sense in rendering stuff smaller than a few pixels anyway) -> Eg 3d balcony with rails -> cube with semi transaprent rail texture -> and finally just embedded into the house texture

Technically at least jme should not make problems
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/2009/08/poisonville-jme-based-mmo-plays-with-the-big-boys/

As far as I understood it the rendering itself was one of the least of their problems, also if I remeber right that was with jme2 wich had way more issues than jme3 has.


This poisonville looked realy good, ufortunatly it´s dead and the sorce code is not avaible.

So you imagine you take some game source code, put the GTA map in and be done with it? Well good luck…

Loading up the GTA maps should prove a challenge, but not an impossible one. Should be very interesting. If you ever manage to do a converter to JMonkeyEngine formats, it alone could spawn many interesting projects :slight_smile: Looking forward to Open GTA that could still require the license for the original game to load the assets.

GTA files seem to be well documented an loading the up should not be super hard… Even the models should be a peace of cake.
http://www.grandtheftwiki.com/Gta.dat

@normen said: So you imagine you take some game source code, put the GTA map in and be done with it? Well good luck..
Not realy, I know that it´s much dificult than this. But game source code would be realy helpful.

I doubt you will find anywhere open source code for a game like this.

@tonihele said: Loading up the GTA maps should prove a challenge, but not an impossible one. Should be very interesting. If you ever manage to do a converter to JMonkeyEngine formats, it alone could spawn many interesting projects :) Looking forward to Open GTA that could still require the license for the original game to load the assets.

GTA files seem to be well documented an loading the up should not be super hard… Even the models should be a peace of cake.
http://www.grandtheftwiki.com/Gta.dat


I´ve read somewhere, that JMonkeyEngine use Ogre, if that´s true there is realy no problem because there is already a coverter for GTA formats to Ogre ones. This converter is open sorce, so even if JMonkeyEngine doesn´t use Ogre it can be helpful to develop a convetor for JMonkeyEngine.

@Empire Phoenix said: I doubt you will find anywhere open source code for a game like this.
For complete game quite shure I´ll not find open source code, but may be for some features like vehicle and weapon handling.
@gtafan said: I´ve read somewhere, that JMonkeyEngine use Ogre, if that´s true there is realy no problem because there is already a coverter for GTA formats to Ogre ones. This converter is open sorce, so even if JMonkeyEngine doesn´t use Ogre it can be helpful to develop a convetor for JMonkeyEngine.

JMonkeyEngine can import models from Ogre formats, and I have the assumption it is more complete than the Blender import (animation vice at least).

@tonihele said: JMonkeyEngine can import models from Ogre formats, and I have the assumption it is more complete than the Blender import (animation vice at least).
That would make it realy easier.

Just remember you kinda cripple yourself if you use third party stuff with no license to use it.

I’m also pretty sure that the ogre converter doesn’t keep the metadata I talked about, Ogre doesn’t really have a way to store such things…

@Empire Phoenix said: Just remember you kinda cripple yourself if you use third party stuff with no license to use it.
See no problem with license, because I want to use it only for noncomercial purposes and own fun.
@normen said: I'm also pretty sure that the ogre converter doesn't keep the metadata I talked about, Ogre doesn't really have a way to store such things..
The converter, I mentioned is not for Ogre only but for an engine called Grit, that uses Ogre. The Grit engine is open sorce, so it should be posible to port some code to jME.