Hardware requirements

Hi everyone, I'm new here  :smiley:

I'm a game developer based in Cape Town, and I have a project in the works to build a browser-based game. JME seems great for what I want to do (Simple 3D cartoon-style), but I have a few questions (I work mainly in C++/C#/XNA so I havent played with jme before). I havent done much searching for answers to these questions yet, because I'm on a tight deadline and I need answers!  :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Minimum hardware requirements - Are there any minimum hardware requirements, or OpenGL version requirements? Does jme include a software renderer, and if not is there a 3rd party software renderer available for jme?
  2. Are there any known issues trying to run jme in specific OS's/browsers?
  3. Is there support for CPU skinning? (I assume so since shadow volumes are supported?)

EDIT:

More questions!

4. I cant see a way to clone a TriMesh object? Pesumably there is a way to do it? - EDIT AGAIN, never mind, I got it  :slight_smile:
  5. Obj converter - When importing from obj, my model is being drawn white. The model is flat shaded and doesnt use any textures ATM, but the color is defined in the .mtl. Is that something I'm doing wrong, or does the importer not import materials without texture refs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers
1. Minimum hardware requirements - Are there any minimum hardware requirements, or OpenGL version requirements? Does jme include a software renderer, and if not is there a 3rd party software renderer available for jme?

The minimum requirements is an OpenGL 1.2 driver, which can possibly be software (GDI Generic on windows) if you enable some flag in LWJGL. jME does not have a software renderer and no 3rd party software renderer exists. jME was mainly intended to be a high-performance hardware accelerated scene-graph, for software rendering there are some libraries online.

2. Are there any known issues trying to run jme in specific OS's/browsers?

No, as far as I know. If any issues are found they are usually fixed in the next release.

3. Is there support for CPU skinning?

Yes, hardware skinning is not supported but is planned.

Momoko already answered most questions… though I wouldn't rely on the windows XP software renderer to support anything over OpenGL 1.1. Of course under linux with MESA you get very good OpenGL software rendering.

toody said:

5. Obj converter - When importing from obj, my model is being drawn white. The model is flat shaded and doesnt use any textures ATM, but the color is defined in the .mtl. Is that something I'm doing wrong, or does the importer not import materials without texture refs?

Seen that question a couple of times before.. usually the problem is in the materials, where there is a matrial defined that is "overexposed" (any light will make it all white).

Thanks for the help  :smiley:

Ok, I read over the fact you are using colours.

Make sure your materials indicate colours should be used, or create a Material state for this yourself:

(quick google to explain:) http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/opengl_lighting.html