Having a trouble with this 3D model

Hi,

I'm trying to use a 3D model from my favorite game, a very old game. The models are in XSI (Softimage) format, and what I'm doing to use them in JME is converting them to 3DS format using Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration tool.

So, now that I have converted this model to 3DS I wanted to see if it loaded into JME. However, it fails loading it and gives me the following error:

27.7.2008 17:29:47 com.jmex.model.converters.maxutils.ChunkerClass chunk
INFO: *****UNKNOWN TYPE*****a358*** for parent a200
INFO: HeaderID=a200 len=22
INFO: HeaderID=afff len=75
INFO: HeaderID=3d3d len=32359
INFO: HeaderID=4d4d len=52257
java.io.IOException: Unknown type:a358: in readFilefor parent a200
   at com.jmex.model.converters.maxutils.ChunkerClass.chunk(ChunkerClass.java:102)

The same 3DS model that fails loading in JME will be displayed and rendered beautifully in RH's Deep Exploration tool, as seen here:

If you're interested in helping me out here is the model file, both 3DS and original XSI, including textures:
http://www.private.is/arni/sz/ivscout00.zip

I've tried to convert this into other formats, such as MD5, but I've given up on it since none of the exporters were willing to do it... or I lack the knowledge of properly exporting it. This is a animated model, so I don't know if that matters.

Either the 3DS model loading part of JME is in failure or the model is simply messed up, or both, or I'm an idiot? :|

The model seems ok. At least, I was able to load it into Milkshape and then import it into JME as a .ms3d

I don't have anything installed that could work with the original .xsi so I used the .3ds

I have never used the JME 3ds importer so can't be any help there  :frowning:

Alric said:

The model seems ok. At least, I was able to load it into Milkshape and then import it into JME as a .ms3d
I don't have anything installed that could work with the original .xsi so I used the .3ds
I have never used the JME 3ds importer so can't be any help there  :(

Geesh... I've tried Blender, gmax, quick3d, deep exploration, and one or two more tools trying to export a working model... nothing. But I just downloaded Milkshape, opened up the 3DS, saved it as MS3D and it loads up in JME WITH textures and everything!!

I like Milkshape from now on!

However…

the animations are no longer there :frowning:

Always the catch.

Have you tried exporting from max or another to MD5, there are several MD5 loaders provided by the community

theprism said:

Always the catch.

Have you tried exporting from max or another to MD5, there are several MD5 loaders provided by the community

The way I'm doing it now is:

1. Open up the XSI in RH's Deep Exploration tool.
2. Export the model from that tool as 3DS ("save with animations" is checked)
3. Import the 3DS file into MilkShake 3D
4. Save the file in MilkShake as MS3D
5. Load it up in JME.

Now, I'm very pleased that at least static objects appear, I can use that for some objects.

The animations seem to be lost when I have imported the 3DS into MilkShake. I click the "Anim" button in the bottom-right corner but when I slide the animation-slider nothing changes.

I have tried the MD5 export plugin for Blender, but it won't let me export, there is some problem. I have also tried an MD5 export plugin for gmax, but same results, something won't let me export.

Ah :) Modeling is so easy.

um…md5 is strictly skeletal and 3ds isn't u would have to skin the model and re-animated with bones for md5 to be an option

mcbeth said:

um....md5 is strictly skeletal and 3ds isn't u would have to skin the model and re-animated with bones for md5 to be an option

Thanks. I didn't take 3D Modeling 101, so I'm a bit lost in that whole area :)

So you recommend that I start with a solid object, and add bones to it in then animate? Got any hints?

I think I will need to pick up a modeling book :|