HeightBasedTerrain in underground dungeon

My project is an underground Dungeon Keeper-style game. I need to decorate walls with textures, and I’d like to do the walls using a terrain, but there are a few things I need to know first.

1. Does the HeightBasedTerrain respond to light like TerrainLighting?
  2. Assuming a scale of Vector3f(1, 1, 1), what is the distance between pixel values in my heightmap image? It seems to be 1 meter, and I’d merely like a confirmation.

Yes, for measurements I’m keeping things simple: 1 world unit = 1 meter. Walls should be 2 meters high, and the dungeon floor should be rough. For roughness I’m using the terrain with height values, and obviously room floors are going to be smooth. More on that later.

Thanksies! =^_^=

If you want vertical walls, a heightmap based terrain is not what you want.

Either you can use models and combine them,
or try with one of the blockworld/voxel engine in the forum.

1 Like
@ladyserenakitty said: My project is an underground Dungeon Keeper-style game. I need to decorate walls with textures, and I'd like to do the walls using a terrain, but there are a few things I need to know first.
  1. Does the HeightBasedTerrain respond to light like TerrainLighting?
  2. Assuming a scale of Vector3f(1, 1, 1), what is the distance between pixel values in my heightmap image? It seems to be 1 meter, and I’d merely like a confirmation.

Yes, for measurements I’m keeping things simple: 1 world unit = 1 meter. Walls should be 2 meters high, and the dungeon floor should be rough. For roughness I’m using the terrain with height values, and obviously room floors are going to be smooth. More on that later.

Thanksies! =^_^=

I’ll start off by seconding Empire Pheonix’s suggestion of going with bloxels … lol.

I’m more addressing point #2 of scale: It really is whatever you want it to be. “out of the box” it looks to be converted to 1-1-1. (x,y) with single color channel range [0…255] z. So, the perfect bitmap size for thinking that way would probably be the ol’ 256x256 sized image. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the other three channels being used for texture overlay alpha values on an RGBA8 memory model.

meh, you can slip in a multiplier on the displacement calculations to make it subtle/extreme to your liking. The artistic side of the math can make it whatever scale ya want. And, of course, good luck with the game! I loved Dungeon Keeper, and wish you well on your spiritual successor.

Game On…

Hi!

There is also this:
https://code.google.com/p/jadex-agentkeeper/

It is made with JMonkeyEngine. Although it seems a bit dead, but nevertheless there is lot of the basic stuff done. Quite nicely if you see the YouTube videos.

And of course here is mine:

My idea is to reverse engineer the original DK 2 assets. Like OpenTTD used to do before having its own assets. Of course you would need the license to the original game.

It’s not a remake or a reimagining of DK. I merely mention DK because that’s the kind of play style we’re going for. I loved DK when I was a teen, and yes, I also played DK2. This project is called “Torture Chamber” in which you are the Ringleader (torture chamber master), and you have a pet that does stuff for ya. The origin of the pet and how the pet acts is all up to you, the Ringleader (kidnapped child from the overground village/town/city and you corrupt its mind until it becomes a monster). Of course there are minions which excavate the underground and build the rooms and gather stuffs.

This entire game is centered around one thing: torturing your <span style=“text-decoration:line-through;”>victims</span> prisoners.

Yesterday, I managed to figure out my terrain’s vertical terrain. Today, I rode in a car from Hagerstown to Dulles, then flew to New Orleans. Happy vacationing, hopefully.

Sounds interesting :slight_smile: Anyway the code could share many similarities. Especially the AgentKeeper has the excavations and dungeoning pretty much figured out…

@tonihele said: Sounds interesting :) Anyway the code could share many similarities. Especially the AgentKeeper has the excavations and dungeoning pretty much figured out...

Indeed! I was thinking I could “borrow” some code/ideas. But I’m building a commercial product, so if I take code, I’ll have to contribute back. That’s cool, though, I’d love to play DK again, especially as an open source remake.

I’m sure you have already heard about: https://wftogame.com/

I bought it and it truly is a DK 3 :slight_smile: Just have to wait for it to get finished though. It is playable but only in sandbox.