Hello Ass Clowns

As a relative newcomer to Jmonkey, I was just wondering if you folks actually answered questions or just told people to read the tutorials, which, before I would even ask a question of you assholes I would exhaust every possiblilty before subjecting myself to your on-line eye rolling and horseshit. If I was an expert on Jmonkey as you think you are, then I wouldn’t have to ask the question in the first place. Thanks for no help,Jackasses. Peace, Love and Rock and Roll

Well thats the point.

What’s the point? Only experts should ask questions? Read every tutorial and exhaust all avenues before becoming desperate enough to risk asking the “Tome of Knowledge” a question? Another cryptic answer. Ever see The Wizard of Oz?

If the question is covered in a tutorial then we post the link to the tutorial. Why answer the same question in full for the 500th time when we already put it into a tutorial after the 100th time? Most new posters don’t read them… half of those don’t even know about them.

If the question is not in a tutorial then it gets answered.

@462Lincoln said: What's the point? Only experts should ask questions? Read every tutorial and exhaust all avenues before becoming desperate enough to risk asking the "Tome of Knowledge" a question? Another cryptic answer. Ever see The Wizard of Oz?

Yes, reading the tutorials. And just dealing with it if you asked a question that has been answered a thousand times already. As it seems your reaction is straight out insulting people instead of rolling eyes, is that better?

I mean what did you do for the people here apart from insulting them? Why do you think you’re eligible to waste their time when they answered most questions in tutorials they invested time in already? For downloading what we did for free? For being such a nice individual? Asshat.

1 Like

I’ve always got valuable answers to my questions here.
It’s actually a strength of jme.

Look underneath: “Viewing 15 topics - 1 through 15 (of 30,665 total)”.

I do agree with the sentiment that help is hard to come by here on the forums unless you’re looking on writing an application to take you to the moon and I shared this in a post I did a long time ago.

The forums seems more for the super expert stuff rather than to give people the ability to learn. Even though I often find myself upset by the answers on the forums (either too vague or just generally unhelpful)

Try coming to our IRC #jmonkeyengine on freenode.net

There’s usually at least a few people in there and are willing to help on pretty much anything.

@BigBob said: I do agree with the sentiment that help is hard to come by here on the forums unless you're looking on writing an application to take you to the moon and I shared this in a post I did a long time ago.

The forums seems more for the super expert stuff rather than to give people the ability to learn. Even though I often find myself upset by the answers on the forums (either too vague or just generally unhelpful)

Try coming to our IRC #jmonkeyengine on freenode.net

There’s usually at least a few people in there and are willing to help on pretty much anything.

This is a good resource because it’s been my experience that the people who help there are generally unwilling to respond to posts here… so they sit until one of us pushes them along.

re: “help is hard to come by here on the forums unless you’re looking on writing an application to take you to the moon”

It may seem that way. When you have a question, usually you don’t realize that it has been answered 100 times already. How many times should we answer the same questions before we stop doing it? How much time should we spend pointing to the resource that already contains the answer. “But I just want to know how to do X, I don’t want to read a whole tutorial!” Then if said person is unwilling to learn why should we take the time out to answer a question that will be the first of 50 that could have been answered by doing the suggested materials in the first place.

It is very rare to find a resource that will be willing to answer your expert level questions and also walk you through step-by-step to learn to program… and every level in between. There are many many resources for learning to program games out there. They are way better than anything we could provide anyway. However, there is only one real place to get detailed answers and information about JME.

Given that many of us have limited time to respond to posts, should we concentrate on the questions that only we can answer or should we spend time answering questions that other resources would answer way better? Should I expect my auto mechanic to give free driving advice just because it happens to be related to cars?

Many seem to think this is a “learn to program games forum” and that is a mistake. Perhaps if they properly saw it as a community where people give out advice and code for free that would otherwise cost $100/hour, it would be a different story.

1 Like

OK, I get it, you’re mad because people ask questions that you should get paid to answer. My bad.

What makes me eligible to waste your time? Nothing. Would it make you feel better if I sent you $20?

And if you’re giving out advice and code for free that would cost $100/hour otherwise your business model is flawed.

Thanks for the time and education

@462Lincoln said: OK, I get it, you're mad because people ask questions that you should get paid to answer. My bad.

What makes me eligible to waste your time? Nothing. Would it make you feel better if I sent you $20?

And if you’re giving out advice and code for free that would cost $100/hour otherwise your business model is flawed.

Thanks for the time and education

Us? Mad? You’re the guy coming here to say “Hello Ass Clowns” and nothing else… Are you trying to show us by example how we should deal with stupid questions from now on? I ask again, are you any better than the people who oh-so-despicably rolled eyes at your questions? Do you realize that you already downloaded the whole engine for free and nobody called you ass clown because of it?

I think this could be solved by coming onto the IRC like I suggested. There’s very friendly people there and always welcomes beginners.

I encourage you to check it out http://webchat.freenode.net/ and just connect to #jmonkeyengine

Faster answers than the forums and at least some live help.

@Normen

Since the IRC, was made official it might be helpful to add to the tutorials that the IRC channel as a good place for beginners to seek help first. (I say to the tutorials because that’s where most beginners start)

Encouraging them to ask there would allow them to recieve feedback on whether it is a forum appropriate question.

1 Like

O.o This is a pretty funny post… I’ve always had pretty good success starting with name calling. No wait… finishing with name calling. From experience, I suggest at least waiting until someone answers your question before throwing out a solid ass-hat/clown/hole/etpack.

@t0neg0d

finally!

You’re back!

@BigBob said: @t0neg0d

finally!

You’re back!

Sort of… life has been ultra busy for me. Probably should start a new thread, but I’ll ask here because I’m lazy. How have things been around these parts lately? All good news I hope?

@t0neg0d

Scary!

I was concerned I was going to have to switch to nifty!

Or worse D: my own gui.

In my experience finding help on the forums is quite easy.

If the tutorials don’t answer my question a simple forum search will usually yield the results I need. When the information was not immediately available I have invested a little bit of effort on my own and was able to figure out what I needed most of the time and learn something on the way. Only when I have exhausted the above do I ask a question. I don’t expect an essay explaining everything in minute details I just hope for someone to give me a nudge in the right direction. I am grateful when someone donates their time and effort assisting me for no personal gain.

While I haven’t posted massive amounts I do read the latest posts frequently and have noted that while many people do chip in it is often the same core group of people that repeatedly sacrifice their personal time and resources to assist the community. These guys should be thanked for their assistance not abused.

It is disappointing to see someone expect to be spoon fed then throw a tantrum when they don’t get peoples immediate and full attention.

9 Likes