Hello World Tutorial: Wont Run

Hey everyone.  Im new to jME2, and to compiling java projects like this (not necessarily java).  I followed the NetBeans compile and install to the T, and was able to successfully test the build project (all those fancy effects demos and verything), and then completed the second half for the jME2Physics. 

I created a new Java Application with the libraries added.  The code from http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorial_1_-_learning_jme_2  Originally I got some error that said the libraries could not be copied, and something about a "build"directory, but now that is mysteriously gone, and instead I get this as the output:

INFO: Application started.
Apr 27, 2009 10:05:40 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings <init>
INFO: PropertiesGameSettings created
Apr 27, 2009 10:05:40 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings load
WARNING: Could not load properties. Creating a new one.
Apr 27, 2009 10:05:40 PM class main.HelloWorld start()
SEVERE: Exception in game loop
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1709)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1030)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:72)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:65)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:81)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:98)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:129)
        at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLPropertiesDialog$ModesRetriever.run(LWJGLPropertiesDialog.java:682)
        at com.jme.app.AbstractGame.getAttributes(AbstractGame.java:252)
        at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(BaseGame.java:67)
        at main.HelloWorld.main(HelloWorld.java:18)
Apr 27, 2009 10:05:40 PM com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame cleanup
INFO: Cleaning up resources.
Apr 27, 2009 10:05:40 PM com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem <init>
INFO: LWJGL Display System created.
Apr 27, 2009 10:05:40 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start
INFO: Application ending.
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

And nothing happens.

Any help for a newbie is appreciated :)
Thanks
- Matt

I am new to using jme myself and I use Eclipse.  In the eclipse installation you have to set the path to the lwjgl native library for your operating system. It may be the same for Netbeans if you haven't already done that.

Hmm, good call, but it didnt seem to chang anything  :|  Thanks alot though

The other error message I was getting seems to only happen if I just compile it (without running).  That gives me:

init:
deps-jar:
compile:
C:jME2jME2build is a directory or can't be read. Not copying the libraries.
Not copying the libraries.
To run this application from the command line without Ant, try:
java -jar "C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorMy DocumentsNetBeansProjectsjME2StuffHelloWorlddistHelloWorld.jar"
jar:
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

as a bit of a Noob myself I would say: Just use Eclipse

and make sure you follow the tutorial that downloads jme with the SVN plugin

there is a confusing bit in the tutorial where you have to manually obtain the SVN plugin yourself instead of simply downloading it within Eclipse though, but other than that its the most reliable tutorial

Thanks for the input.  I just installed eclipse, and tried to follow the setup tutorial for jME2, and I keep finding that when the tutorial says something should be there, or when it says something will work, it often is not and will not.  :?

I dont get it, I really cant seem to figure this out (im a sophmore computer engineering student, so i feel really stupid right now  XD )

The eclipse tutorial works fine for me.  I used tortoise svn to download the necessary files.  When you do it that way, just make sure to make your eclipse Java project name the same name as the folder where you downloaded the files.  After that, if you follow the tutorial at  http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=downloading_and_installing_jme_2.x step by step and you should get up and running.

i also made a video tutorial if thats easier to follow:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=video_tutorial_-_setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme_2

Thanks everyone for the help, I really love that the support is here if I need it.

I ended up having troubles in eclipse as well, no matter how many times I did everything over and followed the tutorials everyone posted, so I went back to netbeans to give it one last shot.

Turns out, when defining the run VM Options, which from the tutorials were pointing to jME2jME2liblwjglnativewin32", and i guess with the new SVN or something, that folder is now "windows" instead of "win32"

Changed that and everything seems to be working (didnt test it in eclipse yet, however)

ah yes that changed recently :slight_smile: