Help a Newbie to start using JME

First off i would like to say Hello to the JME comunity!!

I am a decent java developer and a MMORPG player and a few weeks ago it struck me, why not make a game myself, so i started to write a storyline/basic concept and now i have arrived to the current step: coding  :D

my problem isnt coding itself, but more likely where to start from…

i searched the site and couldn't find what i want atm so i'm asking you dear JME community where can i find tutorials to the following topics:

1. explanation of how the game initializes/main loops, secondary loops(threads)
  2. interface loading
  3. key bindings
  4. network api? existent??
  5. camera binding (third view) + follow character
  6. character loading
  7. character animation - animating a character

and besides those tutorials i would appreciate if someone could explain how to "skin" a char (wear different armors)  :D

Note: i use JME3 + JmonkeyPlatform

Cheers,

Ombladon

For an introduction to jme3, please see the WIP tutorial series and info in the jme3 part of the wiki.

I strongly suggest really going through the tutorials as this will give you an idea of what can be done and how it is done. Then you will also have an idea how you could implement those more advanced features you were talking about.

Cheers,

Normen

thank you for the infos, i will study those tutorials to make a ideea how the engine works  :smiley:

Can you please tell me where can i find a implementation of StandardGame?  XD

Ombladon said:

Can you please tell me where can i find a implementation of StandardGame?  XD

Thats jme2, I guess you have found some jme2 tutorial there.
normen said:

Thats jme2, I guess you have found some jme2 tutorial there.

probably, then can you guide me in whats the best loop for a production game?  :D the rest of the tutorials use SimpleApplication .... also im interested in a multithreaded loop so can you please give me some examples?  :D

i've done my implementation of Application xD (based on simpleApplication )  :smiley:

is there any world editor for jme3? a good one? and where can i find some "stock" models and textures?

cheers,

Ombladon

There is no ‘world editor’ yet, but you could just make a terrain in a modeling tool like Blender. For free models and textures (as well as modeling tools), have a look at our resources.