HELP! Compatability problems with jmonkey!

I have JME SDK 3.0 RC2 installed on my Dell Optiplex GX260. I have one gig of RAM, a nVIDIA GeForce 6200 agp graphics card, and I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers for my operating system, which is windows xp. I have no problems when running the sdk or distributed content on this computer. I love JME and I hope to use it a lot in the future. Distributed content works great on my mac desktops and laptops. HOWEVER, when I try to run a distributed game on one of my Hewett Packard laptops, I get all the way to the blank game window when this "Error in application" message pops up:

Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5, Main]
               UnsupportedOperationException: No default technique on material 'Advanced Water'
               is supported by the video hardware. The caps [GLSL100, GLSL120] are required.

I'm pretty sure that I have run opengl apps on this laptop before, and I know I have JRE 6 installed on it. It's from 2007, I think, and its running windows xp. It has an Intel Centrino processor. I don't know about the graphics card.

Also, on another laptop of mine, with the same game, I get to the same point and get this error, once again captioned "Error in application":

Failed to create display

UnsupportedOperationException: GLSL and OpenGL 2 is required for the opengl renderer!

This one is a Toshiba satellite from two or three years ago. Its running windows vista. I do have JRE 6 installed on it. I believe it also has JRE 7. Could the two be interfering with eachother somehow? 

I'm really no java whiz. I started out coding with Unity 3d, which I now realize is nothing like real java. I dropped unity because I didn't want to have to pay anything for the pro version. But it looks like I might have to go back to simple-scrolling-texture-on-a-plane-water if I can't figure out JME.  :'(

If you can tell me how, I will send you the project. Please respond soon.

:

You can use OpenGL1 mode on incompatible computers, note however only a few of the lighting material options work and that you cannot use post processors. E.g. the infamous Intel GMA chips don’t support OpenGL 2.0 fully.

Thanks, Normen. These two laptops seem like they should be new enough, though. I’m pretty sure they both have graphics cards that are as good as or better than my dell desktop. You are right though: it could very well be issues caused by the processor. I will try using OpenGL1 just to see if that is indeed the problem. If it works, I guess I will just have to live without the post effects :frowning:

BBad news, for you, as the lsit states, only 1.5 is supported by that cards.

@Empire Phoenix said: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia-GeForce-6-Serie

BBad news, for you, as the lsit states, only 1.5 is supported by that cards.

I have a 6200 here that ran Mythruna (slowly) and it’s funny how the english version of that page says OpenGL 2.0.

and so since Wikipedia seems to be unreliable, I shall remove all doubt by posting a pic of the box that it came in:

For the laptop, we’d have to know what kind of underpowered card it had to know for sure.

Anyway, if the water shader requires GLSL 1.2 then it will require OpenGL 2.1
 and I’m pretty sure the 6200 doesn’t support that. I don’t know if a driver upgrade would fix it but it seems unlikely.

@pspeed said: I have a 6200 here that ran Mythruna (slowly) and it's funny how the english version of that page says OpenGL 2.0.

and so since Wikipedia seems to be unreliable, I shall remove all doubt by posting a pic of the box that it came in:

For the laptop, we’d have to know what kind of underpowered card it had to know for sure.

Anyway, if the water shader requires GLSL 1.2 then it will require OpenGL 2.1
 and I’m pretty sure the 6200 doesn’t support that. I don’t know if a driver upgrade would fix it but it seems unlikely.

“optimizations and support”? Why not just “support”? That sounds like “HD ready”, market speak for “we sell you old crap with a new sticker” to me
 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@normen said: "optimizations and support"? Why not just "support"? That sounds like "HD ready", market speak for "we sell you old crap with a new sticker" to me.. ;-P

Yeah. Though I can imagine the conversation:
Engineer: “We fully support OpenGL 2.0”
Marketroid: “What’s that?”
Engineer: “Which?”
Marketroid: “That stuff you said after ‘fully’.”
Engineer: “You mean ‘OpenGL’?”
Marketroid: “Yeah, that
 and the 2 point jiggawatts thing, too.”
Engineer: “We support a version of a standard spec that lots of games use. We support version 2.0. Did you just start doing this yesterday?”
Marketroid: “So why is 2.0 better than 1.9?”
Engineer: sigh “There is no 1.9 but anyway iIt’s more ‘optimized’ than the previous
”
Marketroid: “Got it! Thanks!”
Engineer: “
but
”

1 Like
@pspeed said: Yeah. Though I can imagine the conversation: Engineer: "We fully support OpenGL 2.0" Marketroid: "What's that?" Engineer: "Which?" Marketroid: "That stuff you said after 'fully'." Engineer: "You mean 'OpenGL'?" Marketroid: "Yeah, that... and the 2 point jiggawatts thing, too." Engineer: "We support a version of a standard spec that lots of games use. We support version 2.0. Did you just start doing this yesterday?" Marketroid: "So why is 2.0 better than 1.9?" Engineer: sigh "There is no 1.9 but anyway iIt's more 'optimized' than the previous..." Marketroid: "Got it! Thanks!" Engineer: "...but..."

lol xD true. So only the engineer will ever know if he could update it to 2.1 or 2.0
 if the company hadn’t stopped putting money in that product already :wink:

Haha, might be worth trying to install a english driver version ^^ :stuck_out_tongue:

@normen said: lol xD true. So only the engineer will ever know if he *could* update it to 2.1 or 2.0... if the company hadn't stopped putting money in that product already ;)

Engineer: “Really it’s just an ini file update I can just push
”
Marketroid: “How do we derive value from that?”