Help test jME3 on your android phone!

cool, just installed it and it runs at 35-55 fps on my old G1, 25-35 when rotating

Ok it works fine. The frame rate is jumpy during the first ten seconds and then I get between 49 and 52 FPS.

HTC Dream G1 upgraded to Android 1.5

Very cool!

I got excited when I read the post, had to try it out.

I tried it on Motorola Milestone, Android 2.0.

Got 31-62 framerate mostly. But once it dropped to 13.

There was flickering when at the side of the screen.

I made a video,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5hj8l96oAk.

Good Job!

I tested in a Motorola DEXT in Europe CLIQ in USA, and the app close unexpectly when i run. Tha android version is 1.5.

Strange, am I the only one without textures?

After the video I installed it again, but for me they are still white.

Maybe it really is just the perspective, since I couldn't get in the same position as Henri.

Henri said:

Very cool!

I got excited when I read the post, had to try it out.
I tried it on Motorola Milestone, Android 2.0.
Got 31-62 framerate mostly. But once it dropped to 13.
There was flickering when at the side of the screen.

I made a video,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5hj8l96oAk.

Ooh pretty cool. So you got textures to work? Which version did you use? The one in the attachment in the first post, or the one posted in the link later on?

So far this just hints to me that there's absolutely no convention on how to use the palette texture extension in OpenGL ES, and for that reason, I'll refrain from using them.

I think the low fps might be fixed in future versions since I speeded up some parts of the engine (mainly the core). 40 fps is hardly satisfactory on a motorola droid, but that could be overhead due to rendering and have nothing to do with jme.

Yes the textures worked. I used http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jme/jme3_2.apk.

What is palette texture extension?

How does that overhead due to rendering, that has nothing to do with JME, happen?

How does that overhead due to rendering, that has nothing to do with JME, happen?

Rendering incurs a certain overhead. For example, writing and reading the framebuffer is a constant overhead that is always there regardless if you actually render something or not. I think that, partially at least, the fps text is also causing big trouble since its in float format and requires a float -> fixed conversion on most gpus. This problem will be fixed soon and performance should be better afterwards.

Heyy! Longtime not seen, just too much school stuff :expressionless:

Just wanna say, it work's fine on my Milestone (German, Vodafone Branding with Android 2.0.1)

Keep up the great work!

Greetings,

tim8dev

Another hero test went okay. ~40FPS

I might be able to test it on Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 this thursday, should I use that same .apk or do you have a new version?

Sorry no. I don't have any new versions. Android development for jme3 has been paused for a while until I get my project setup correctly again.

Ok. What happened to your project setup?

Henri said:

Ok. What happened to your project setup?

I suppose it has changed to a jme3-desktop one because we are preparing for google summer of code. Most of the Android stuff is working so right now he needs to code for desktop again.

Problem with android is, you gotta have two projects using the same source code, and netbeans doesn't allow that. So what I did was install two versions of netbeans, an old version and a new version and they somehow were able to reference the same sources. However in recent time my windows sort-of stopped working and after installing the new windows my projects are no longer there.

Waiting for my Nexus to be processed by the Belgian customs…can't wait to experiment with jME3 on it. :slight_smile:

FYI

Yesterday

:-o

This is BIG news.

Android 3D graphics can now compete with iPhone, first of all.

But also, when Java's OpenGL ES 2.0 interface comes out, then jME3's shader features will work on android …

I just built an android version from the current svn/branches/jme3. I used the following source packages: android, jme_core, jme_core_plugins and I copied some resources from jme_core-data over to the assets folder. Because it did not compile I made lots of adjustments to deal with the recent changes:

• name schema changes from g3d to jme3 in package names and class names

• IntMap and lod in the renderMesh methods in OGLESRenderer

When I run the test the font rendering is garbled. I took the cooper.fnt, cooper_00.png and font2d.j3md from jme_core-data. I used my own texture for the spheres. What can be the problem?

I'd be glad to commit my changes so far and my future improvements as I want to use JME on android for a real project of mine.

The font issue sounds like flipping is not done, probably the defaults have been changed. I am not sure about the texture on the meshes. Either way this will have to be tested further.

Android support is second priority right now though, it's one of those "somewhat complete" features that are functional but not usable so it will have to be finalized in alpha2.