Hevee Guns

I don't like to "release" something at such an early stage, but I really need some feedback, especially on the sound and webstart stuff. I had to do quite some webstart tweaking, and have absolutely no idea if that works for everybody.

So, here is my attempt at creating a game in as little time as possible: CGIWrap Error: User not found.

Please, give it a try, and tell me what you think, and what you see/hear.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Webstart works here, except that I had to save the webstart file to a jnlp file and then open it myself (probably a content type issue). That's using Opera 9 P2 on Windows.

For the rest, the "game" itself ran smoothly here, the ambient noise was very relaxing untill I pressed space :smiley: The water effect is nifty too… how'd you do that?

I guess the next item is aiming when you shoot? Oh, and by shooting a lot I managed to flip myself upside down… heh

You can aim by holding the spacebar. I don't know yet if I want the aiming to be any more precise for that particular weapon…

The water is just sine wave animated vertex y positions, combined with animated normals and spherical environment mapping.

Oh, and by shooting a lot I managed to flip myself upside down… heh

Cool, I didn't even know that was possible…

Ah hadn't figured that one out yet…

That's better… it could use some fine tuning of course, right now it's very hard to "lob" one of those bullets, because the forward speed is (and stays) so high…

You're right, it is somewhat tricky to aim those bullets.

BTW, has anybody else strange camera movement all across the world at startup, or even an all- gray screen except a small mini-map at the lower left corner of the screen? I have observed this at other people's machines, the ChaseCamera seems to end up at Vector3f(NaN, NaN, NaN), which essentially prevents it from seeing anything at all.

I think that's due to the timer initializing to 0 fps on startup… I was already looking into a fix for that

Hevee, maybe you could confirm this is the problem for you locally (since I don't have acces to your source to test with).

As a workaround, in the com.jme.util.LWGJLTimer constructor, change this:

// set tpf… Using 0 fps to begin with…

It does! Well, the second, and worse, problem with the NaN location, at least. Thought there would be some zero around somewhere causing the problem, but of course I had no idea where to look for it… Thank you, llama, that totally did the trick. The camera movement at the beginnig of the game is still there, however, but I assume I am still doing somethig wrong in using the ChaseCamera, and there is some hacky stuff where I tried to work around the NaN problem, that might be causing it.

Hm, I was kinda hoping it would solve the crazy chasecam problem too. Well, maybe a real fix rather than a hack will do more good.

Works fine here. And after "building" a perfect model of the Grand Canyon and cutting the Island in two halves I msut say I love it so far.

The sound of the explosion should be louder in my opinion, though.

That gives me an excellent idea for a game where you try to model your favorite images with a bazooka… have to try that at once!

The explosion sound is behaving quite differently on various machines, and not the way I would have thought after reading SoundSystem.create3DSample's javadoc… might be a bug, might be my fault, who knows? I am trying to find out currently.

Thanks for your comment, and I'm glad you like it so far!

Doesn't seem to work on my Powerbook (mac).  It starts up and shows me the rez choice box, then immediately dies after I choose something.  Can't seem to find the log.

Renanse, can you download that jnlp file somewhere and execute it from there? That should put the log file, as well as a file named stdout_stderr, right there. Hopefully with some useful information in them…

Got it… it's unable to load up openal on the mac.  Is that something you should bundle or am i forgetting that we are forced to install this ourselves?

Can you check if the OpenAL files are in the webstart or not?

We might have to take another closer look at this topic:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=2823.0

The OpenAL native libs should be loaded, I copied this:

<resources os="Mac OS">
      <j2se version="1.4+"/>
      <nativelib href="lwjgl-mac.jar"/>
      <nativelib href="openal-mac.jar"/>
      <nativelib href="jinput-mac.jar"/>
  </resources>

over from a script I found somewhere, to one of m webstart scripts ( http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/krabien/HeveeGuns/jme-modified.jnlp ). The codebase is http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/webstart/nightly/ Since I don't own a mac, I am afraid I can't do any more to help debugging this...
unless... Renanse, what is the exact error message? Is it complaining about missing native libs, or missing classes? It could also be unsigned jars for the native libs, I had to sign the jogg and jorbis jars myself, since the ones at the nightly build location seem to be unsigned.

To not lock out Linux and Mac people, I added an option to turn off sound in the startup dialog- works on my linux box now, and hopefully on mac as well. It would be nice, though, to have a working openAL for *nix, if possible…

Also, HeveeGuns has become a test case for using skinLF with that marvellous JMEDesktop. Another difficult thing, I believe, on non-win-platforms. My linux box doesn't complain, however.

BTW, don't try to check that "Network" feature yet, it still needs a lot of work, and the server ist most likely down if you try.

hevee said:

You're right, it is somewhat tricky to aim those bullets.
BTW, has anybody else strange camera movement all across the world at startup, or even an all- gray screen except a small mini-map at the lower left corner of the screen? I have observed this at other people's machines, the ChaseCamera seems to end up at Vector3f(NaN, NaN, NaN), which essentially prevents it from seeing anything at all.

Ok, I added a fix for (part) of this problem to CVS just now. Hopefully the gray screen bug is gone for good, but do you also notice any change in the "all across the world" problem?

Sadly, the "all across the world" problem is still there. And it's getting worse the lower the framerate gets, I think (talking of framerates between 60 and 150 fps, on my machine, so nothing overly slow). The gray screen thing, however, is fixed, thanks a lot!

Orihara said:

A orthographic rendering from some place above?

No, I couldn't figure out at the time how to do that, the camera is not ortho, as far as I can remeber now.

Orihara said:

how did you do the multiple cameras?

I pretty much copy/pasted code the from jmetest.renderer.TestCameraMan test. The entire HeveeGuns project was an attempt at creating something playable with jME as quick as possible, and it contains an awful lot of copy/paste code from the test classes, stitched together in a more or less clever way.
The project was just a quick fun distraction, and a test of what can be done with jME, so I didn't bother structuring that mess - so sorry, i can't provide any working code, it would take too long to search for the relevant bits, and restructure them to be readable. But as I said, most things in HeveeGuns can be found  in the test classes, anyway, which have the advantage of being up to date - jME changed a lot since HeveeGuns, and won't compile any more.

It is nice to see somebody is still looking at this thread, however, gives me a feeling of having created something that is actually useful to somebody, and that's a nice feeling, so if you have more questions, just ask  :)