Hexyle – The Gaming Universe

Hi Folks

Here’s the game I’ve been working on the last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eua-TseIeNc

It’s just a concept video - I’m now trying to raise the funds to develop it with an internet campaign,

more details on the new website - http://www.hexyle.com/

Thanks to everyone at jMonkey for helping me.

Glenn.

14 Likes

Impressive work there.

Hey, congrats, looks really cool!

Aaaaw, I wished I had watched it with music on from the start. When the crazy transparency effect kicked in I just knew an epic track was playing xD

This looks amazing man! We’d love to share some Hexyle footage in our beta video. I’ll send you a PM.

At school now, but some marketing tips off the top of my head:

Look at what the guys at Wolfire have done. They’re in excellent touch with their community, which has directly benefited the impact of their pre-order & indie bundle campaigns - immensely.

A big bunch of good pointers popped up in this thread. I should probably make a proper post out of it some day.

Also, since you’re doing a sort of Kickstarter thing, why not do it for real? If Kickstarter isn’t quite right for you, there are several options out there:

http://www.rockethub.com/learnmore/intro

http://8bitfunding.com/static.php?static_id=2

http://www.indiegogo.com/about/howitworks

https://www.profounder.com/about

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/2853-13-Crowdfunding-Websites-to-Fund-Your-Business

Unfortunately many of these services are dependent on nationality. I would guess they largely require US citizenship. Definitely check out the top 3 though; afaik those are global.

Thanks for comments everyone :slight_smile:

Erlend, I can’t do kickstarter as I’m not a US citizen - but the links you posted are interesting - I’ll keep an open mind, but I’ll see how things pan out by going my own maverick route.

I’ve been following Wolfire too - it’s great what they’re doing!

Will be glad to give you any footage you need for a video.

Thanks.

Hi, cool work! Keep up the good work!

Whats the name of the song? I know the song, but not the name :frowning:

Adding on to the “Wolfire approach” - get a blog. It looks like you’re currently running a static HTML site, with a twitter feed being the only dynamically updated part of it. Maybe you’re not a fan of blogging, many developers aren’t, but the bottom line is: Google loves blogs, especially WordPress. Many modern WordPress themes, including the latest default TwentyEleven, support “post formats” which allow you to publish in a Tumblr-like fashion, i.e. just write “Here’s a video {link}” and there’s a nice post with the video, short and sweet.

DarkPhoenixX said:
Hi, cool work! Keep up the good work!
Whats the name of the song? I know the song, but not the name :(

Yeah it's one of those tunes everyone knows, but not the name - had me puzzled for years..
It's called Clubbed to Death - part of the Matrix soundtrack I believe.
erlend_sh said:
Adding on to the "Wolfire approach" - get a blog. It looks like you're currently running a static HTML site, with a twitter feed being the only dynamically updated part of it. Maybe you're not a fan of blogging, many developers aren't, but the bottom line is: Google loves blogs, especially WordPress. Many modern WordPress themes, including the latest default TwentyEleven, support "post formats" which allow you to publish in a Tumblr-like fashion, i.e. just write "Here's a video {link}" and there's a nice post with the video, short and sweet.

I was hoping the Twitter feed would be all I need - but I take your point about Google.

I do have my own wordpress site at www.butterfly.ie - where I blog about everything I do anyway.

I'll have a think - is there a good blog widget you could recommend to easily integrate onto the site?

This is visionary.

Epic :slight_smile:

looks nice man :slight_smile:

it reminds me of an early version of a the last JME game I was working on (which got dumped).

xp61 said:
I was hoping the Twitter feed would be all I need - but I take your point about Google.

Good. As for "when to tweet?" - You just always tweet what you blog, and tweet any relevant stuff along with it ;) In the case of jMonkeyEngine, me and Skye try to do a new tweet every day, generally about new interesting forum posts (like yours today) or re-tweets from relevant projects like LWJGL and NetBeans.
xp61 said:
I do have my own wordpress site at www.butterfly.ie - where I blog about everything I do anyway.
Oh I see. And it's wordpress.com-hosted I see. Plenty of activity there; great!
xp61 said:
I'll have a think - is there a good blog widget you could recommend to easily integrate onto the site?

Hum, you mean like a way of embedding your blog, by rss feed for instance, into your Hexyle site? Don't know about any simple snippets for that, no. For WordPress there are plenty of options though. So one thing you could do is convert Hexyle to a WordPress site and either embed an RSS feed of butterfly.ie's Hexyle category, or import those posts alltogether - what I would recommend. Going to one site clicking news that leads you to another isn't the best user experience. Also Google will favor the butterfly.ie domain if all your posts come from there; you might appreciate the extra traffic to your personal site, but again, it's more confusing to new visitors.
Naturally, if you're simply not very comfortable with WordPress, I can quit pushing it right now ;)

Looks absolutely beautiful :). Definitely visionary of where crafting-style games can and should be

headed!

If your programming chops don’t work out you can probably find work as a video editor, those cuts were in exactly the right spots and the complexity of the scenes built up right until the end. Great work on all fronts!

erlend_sh said:
Good. As for "when to tweet?" - You just always tweet what you blog, and tweet any relevant stuff along with it ;) In the case of jMonkeyEngine, me and Skye try to do a new tweet every day, generally about new interesting forum posts (like yours today) or re-tweets from relevant projects like LWJGL and NetBeans.
Oh I see. And it's wordpress.com-hosted I see. Plenty of activity there; great!

Hum, you mean like a way of embedding your blog, by rss feed for instance, into your Hexyle site? Don't know about any simple snippets for that, no. For WordPress there are plenty of options though. So one thing you could do is convert Hexyle to a WordPress site and either embed an RSS feed of butterfly.ie's Hexyle category, or import those posts alltogether - what I would recommend. Going to one site clicking news that leads you to another isn't the best user experience. Also Google will favor the butterfly.ie domain if all your posts come from there; you might appreciate the extra traffic to your personal site, but again, it's more confusing to new visitors.
Naturally, if you're simply not very comfortable with WordPress, I can quit pushing it right now ;)

Yeah I've actually used wordpress for years - but I used Adobe Muse to build the Hexyle website, I wanted to try something different - It's actually quite easy and powerful once you get the hang of it.
Thanks again for the advice and support.
sbook said:
Looks absolutely beautiful :). Definitely visionary of where crafting-style games can and should be
headed!
If your programming chops don't work out you can probably find work as a video editor, those cuts were in exactly the right spots and the complexity of the scenes built up right until the end. Great work on all fronts!

Actually it's the other way around :)
I've been a computer animator / motion graphics artist for about 15 years. Games programming is just something I've gotten into recently..

Cool, how are you going to hook in the game aspect of it?

Are you going to use scripting to implement the random games?

Depending on the game type - the computer will generate what’s needed - for example - a simple golf type game - the computer generates a hole at a random position - once you get the ball in - another hole is generated - and so on - taking you through a procedural landscape - as the terrain shape changes based on random algorithms - the game will be easier / harder / need different tactics

• or if a racing game - the computer generates a random track (with trackmania style racetrack blocks)

• or a tabletop warfare type game - the computer creates castles, armies for 2 players

I could go on and on!

Really impressive!!

The video is amazing. I’m still with my mouth open.

really awesome :smiley: . I love isometric games.