Hi newbie to JME please help sir

Is it possible to display swing components inside the jME2 Environment??? I mean I've only undergone one tutorial using the SimpleGame library of jME2… So, I'm really a newbie compared to all of you here, allthough I'm confident I can program Swing Components because that was where our class ended last semester… help appreciated… :// :// ://

JME Desktop - but it will be slower than say Fenggui

Java 7 will allow for mixing lightweight and heavy weight components, so in theory it wil be possible soon

oh… thanks for the reply… cool then… it’ll be possible soon, but not soon enough… oh well, uhmmm btw… Fenggui is very new to me, actually never heard of it… but if it’s the most preferable way of implementing a GUI inside JME, i’ll take a look at it then… any tips on where to find begginer tutorials for such GUI??? thnx

edit: Ive searched through google… and found out that FengGUI is a commercial product sirs… I’m just a student… and I preferably need the Swing support… because I don’t need powerful graphics in my project yet… Swing will do… I think… please help… :// :// :’(

Which kind of GUI would you like to create? The JOGL renderer is less reliable than the LWJGL renderer but I'm sure there is an easier way to mix OpenGL rendering and AWT/Swing components. The JOGL renderer uses a GLCanvas, it is possible to use heavyweight components with it whereas using lightweight components might cause some problems. Do you know AWT too?

Sure… i'd like that too… because I use listeners of the AWT package to command the events of my objects… any begginer tutorials you could direct me to??

can anyone help?? i'm sorry to double post… although its kinda long since ive been here

mhelz0001 said:

oh.. thanks for the reply... cool then... it'll be possible soon, but not soon enough... oh well, uhmmm btw... Fenggui is very new to me, actually never heard of it.... but if it's the most preferable way of implementing a GUI inside JME, i'll take a look at it then... any tips on where to find begginer tutorials for such GUI??? thnx

edit: Ive searched through google... and found out that FengGUI is a commercial product sirs.... I'm just a student... and I preferably need the Swing support... because I don't need powerful graphics in my project yet..... Swing will do... I think... please help.... :// :// :'(

Have you looked at GBUI?

http://code.google.com/p/gbui/

I strongly encourage you not to use JMEDesktop for your swing.

I have tried this approach myself and run into many problems, the biggest one being that it makes your application extremely slow.

Between GBUI and FengGui I would choose GBUI.

thanks again for the reply sirs… now… i've looked into GBUI and from a lot of posts from this forum… I'd say that it is really a trusted approach on GUI programming… although, all the wikis i've skimmmed tells me to use eclipse… which is, i think not an option now because i've already set my project into netbeans 6.1 and i feel very comfortable in using it now… my question is, is it the same in any platform i use (btw, by platform i mean Netbeans, Eclipse,  JCreator etc)???

And if support is available to Netbeans… could you atleast direct me to a tutorial on how I could set up my Netbeans?? I've already done the subversion checkout part… Although, I do not know what to do next…

mhelz0001 said:

...edit: Ive searched through google... and found out that FengGUI is a commercial product sirs.... I'm just a student...

That is wrong.  FengGUI is licensed with LGPL.

You were probably reading about the product Feng-Gui (note the hyphen), which is a completely different thing.

oh didn't notice that… I'll try with fengGUI again