Horrible performance in Scene Composer

Hey!

I’ve been googling and searching the forums but I can’t find anyone having the same problem. I recently gave up on using Blender as a level editor for various reasons (now I only create models in it) and switched back to Scene Composer to give it another shot. It’s usable but there are so many glitches, and I just don’t know if I’m the only one experiencing them because I can’t find anyone else when searching. A couple of examples are:

• When right clicking to select an object, the jMonkey IDE freezes for about 10-20 seconds.
  • When moving (g + mousemove, or the move tool) an object, it jumps to a random nearby position before being moved
  • Scaling an object and then again along another axis resets the first scaling (s + z and then s + x for example)

I’m using eclipse for coding and the jmonkey IDE for scenes and materials etc, cause all of the jmonkey IDE is performing very poorly (slow) on my computer.

I’m using the nightly build jME3_2013-05-26 (but these issues have always existed).

Computer specs:

• Macbook Pro model 2013

• OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

• Intel HD Graphics 4000 768 MB

• 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

• 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

• jME3_2013-05-26

• JRE 1.7.0_45

I don’t really know what to do about this, but I figured I’d post it here to see if this is how it’s supposed to be or if it’s only on my system?

Cheers,
Jonatan

You can try this one.
https://code.google.com/p/simple-world-editor/
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/simple-world-editor/

But it will be heavely refactored soon :slight_smile:

It can manipulate with j3o files.
I also did not test it on OSX. I have only linux. So, try to save and load a simple scene firstly.

1 Like

No, haven’t heard of such issues yet.

When you scale with the S key, you have to hit enter before for it to take.
There is a massive lag when you have many objects in the scene (say 100 or so), it will pause for a good 10-15 seconds. This was happening when the spatial would be refreshed and selected in the Scene Explorer window. I think I patched that though, but maybe not.

Not sure about that moving issue. Do you have grid snapping turned on?

@mifth said: You can try this one. https://code.google.com/p/simple-world-editor/ http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/simple-world-editor/

But it will be heavely refactored soon :slight_smile:

It can manipulate with j3o files.
I also did not test it on OSX. I have only linux. So, try to save and load a simple scene firstly.

Great initative! I’ll try it out

@Sploreg said: When you scale with the S key, you have to hit enter before for it to take. There is a massive lag when you have many objects in the scene (say 100 or so), it will pause for a good 10-15 seconds. This was happening when the spatial would be refreshed and selected in the Scene Explorer window. I think I patched that though, but maybe not.

Not sure about that moving issue. Do you have grid snapping turned on?

This is me moving a selected object with G + Y + mousemove:

And this is me scaling an object with S + mousemove:

The first one slightly repositions the object (on initial mouseove) before moving and the second one instantly resets the object (on initial mousemove) to the original scale before scaling. Is it supposed to act like this maybe? There’s no snapping enabled.

I have roughly 10 objects linked in the scene, trees and rocks. And when (accidentally) right clicking an object, the IDE freezes for 20 seconds. I have to select objects in the SceneExplorer window now, and obviously it takes a while before selecting the right object.

I’ll try to troubleshoot this some more, start with an empty scene etc and see where things start to go wrong and get back to you guys here.

Jonatan

Updates:

When theres no terrain and only 4 linked tree models, there are no glitches with moving them (they don’t jump to a random position upon g + mousemove, they start to move from where they are). And there’s no delay when right clicking (selecting) an object.

However, when there’s a Terrain Spatial in the scene, it always freezes a couple of seconds upon right clicking an object. The delay is greater when the total size of the terrain is bigger. (5 sec on size 512 and 20 sec on size 2048)

The larger the terrain the more objects there are, so it will take longer.
I checked and haven’t committed the fix to that lag, I will try and remember to do that today. For now, gotta head to the dentist :frowning:

1 Like

@Sploreg cool!

I’m unable to safely reproduce the g + mousemove object hopping, allthough it still happens sometimes. I’ll update this thread if I find some new intel on this.