HottBJ exporting textures

Hello,

Im trying to export a very simple mesh that has a JPG as texture. To reproduce in Blender, use the box, apply a texture with the "Texture Button (F6)" and try to export. The exporter tells me that 0 objects will be exported when my box is textured. When I remove the texture it will export the model.

Reading the help notes gave me the impression HottBJ 0.4a has support for material/texture export. Also the tutorial mentions it is possible but doesn't explain which steps should be taken.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

You have to use an uv-map to export the texture:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php/blenderjme_mats_tutorial

ttrocha said:

You have to use an uv-map to export the texture:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php/blenderjme_mats_tutorial

Thank you, that helped me alot. I must've overread that part.
One last question.. and I'm not sure if it either jME related or Exporter related.

When exporting with the texture I get the following results

Not really what I was hoping to get. The model -can- find the texture though, however its way of applying it is all wrong (when you look at the Blender screenshot).

Again, thanks for the help!

Can you provide the .blend-file and I will have a look.

Darklord said:

One last question.. and I'm not sure if it either jME related or Exporter related.

When exporting with the texture I get the following results

Not really what I was hoping to get. The model -can- find the texture though, however its way of applying it is all wrong (when you look at the Blender screenshot).

Again, thanks for the help!

I don't see anything wrong.  All differences I see are accounted for by having smoothing off in Blender (a presentation-only feature not intended for exporting) and different light sources and background.

Well the thing is, when I apply a texture on a model… I get two different results.

I followed the materials tutorials twice. The section of UV mapping and texturing. Perhaps I’m forgetting to set a render parameter or something?

Anyhow, ttrocha, I uploaded the Blend here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RD3PHXUG

Simple test class to load a model:

public class SimpleImport extends SimpleGame
{

@Override
    protected void simpleInitGame()
    {
        URL modelUrl = ResourceLocatorTool.locateResource(ResourceLocatorTool.TYPE_MODEL, "/models/simplepane-jme.xml");
        loadModel(modelUrl);
    }

protected void loadModel(URL modelUrl)
    {
        Spatial loadedSpatial = null;
        try
        {
            loadedSpatial = (Spatial) XMLImporter.getInstance().load(modelUrl);
        } catch (Exception e)
        {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("Failed to load URL: " + modelUrl, e);
        }
        loadedSpatial.setModelBound(new BoundingBox());
        rootNode.attachChild(loadedSpatial);
        loadedSpatial.updateModelBound();
        rootNode.updateRenderState();
    }

public static void main(String[] args)
    {
        SimpleImport app = new SimpleImport();
        app.start();
    }
}

Again, thanks in advance!

Is there no other way to upload the blend file? Make a zip and add it to your post! Megaupload suxx so much…

always says the file is not available at the moment…

ttrocha said:

Is there no other way to upload the blend file? Make a zip and add it to your post! Megaupload suxx so much....
always says the file is not available at the moment....

Here you go! :)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~apache64/JMonkey/Try2Texture.zip

Actually I'm at work now and don't have the HottBJ-Exporter here right now. But having a short look to your blend-file shows me that you didn't unwrap your model, so you don't have a UV-Map but maps the texture to uv…

This you might do to fix it: Select you model, go in edit mode, press u-key -> unwrap. Make sure to select in the uv/image-editor your image in the select-box. Using textured draw type will show you now the texture in the 3d-view as well (draw-type is  the little icon in the select-box right from the selectbox where you can select edit/object/pose/etc-Mode)

Second, you should always have relative paths. (File->External Data->Make all paths relative)  or when you select an image to include there is a 'relative-path'-switch somewhere…

Give it a try…

ttrocha said:

Actually I'm at work now and don't have the HottBJ-Exporter here right now. But having a short look to your blend-file shows me that you didn't unwrap your model, so you don't have a UV-Map but maps the texture to uv...

This you might do to fix it: Select you model, go in edit mode, press u-key -> unwrap. Make sure to select in the uv/image-editor your image in the select-box. Using textured draw type will show you now the texture in the 3d-view as well (draw-type is  the little icon in the select-box right from the selectbox where you can select edit/object/pose/etc-Mode)

Second, you should always have relative paths. (File->External Data->Make all paths relative)  or when you select an image to include there is a 'relative-path'-switch somewhere...

Give it a try...

Oh yeah!  :D
Thanks to your extensive help, I solved this problem!
Many, many thanks!