How is the buff effect done?

heres a video showing what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1LeEpB52o8

it seems like its juat a projected texture on the ground. but how is the light done?

and am i right about the effect on the ground?

There's two alpha blended quads, rotating in opposite directions, and vertical glow particles coming out of the ground. I don't know which light you are talking about, post a screenshot.

the light im talking about is the vertical glow particles u r talking about.

what about the lighting aura and the dust spin thing later on in the video? r those just quads rotating?

They could also be particles, but you could achieve the same effect with your custom mesh, yes.

duenez said:

They could also be particles, but you could achieve the same effect with your custom mesh, yes.

how can i achieve the lightning effect with mesh?

Screenshots or time in the video would be great because there's a lot of effects going on that video and it's 5 mins…

here r the effects that im interested.

1 buff

2 lightning

3 dust and rotating flash

4 mirage

5 buff

6 buff wing

You could always attach a light to the scene with the appropriate position and color, depending on your desired effect. Also, you could achieve some of these effects with some additive blending (like the one in the RenParticleEditor) and transparency.

most of them i think r done with particles + quads.

but how is the mirage thing done? :?

From the screenshot it is really hard to say what exactly is that you want… Perhaps you want the sword to leave a laser trail? Something like the effect in this ancient thread? http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=1041.0

duenez said:

From the screenshot it is really hard to say what exactly is that you want... Perhaps you want the sword to leave a laser trail? Something like the effect in this ancient thread? http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=1041.0

thx for the info. ill take a look at it when i have time. got a little busy with labs  :D

ok back to this old topic, i still cant figure out how to do the lightning(ss 2) and the buff(ss 1).

for the buff (ss1) i thought it was done with quad particles shooting up, but what would the particles look like?

for the lightning, im just confused…i thought a rotating quad with lightning texture applied would do the trick, but the lightning itself will just be static then.

help~

Have you tried the buff one with very long (like several hundred pixels) particles in form of a very long, very narrow oval?

Also, for the lightning, I thing you could get by trying to animate the lightning texture with some number of frames and that would be it… Otherwise, I guess making the light paths geometry would be the way to go.

duenez said:

Have you tried the buff one with very long (like several hundred pixels) particles in form of a very long, very narrow oval?

Also, for the lightning, I thing you could get by trying to animate the lightning texture with some number of frames and that would be it... Otherwise, I guess making the light paths geometry would be the way to go.

i think the very long quad particles might work. thats what im thinking of doing as well, ill try that and post here if it works.

and for the lightning, im actually thinking for modeling a ring like mesh and attack the mesh in on fly with animated textures but i dont know if this will cause lag or not.