How much does jmonkey weigh in total?

I’m newcomer, I’m looking for a game engine, I’m short of resources.

1 Like

0 grams.

1 Like

In what metric? File size? Memory?

I assume with “I’m short of resources” you mean your computer, i.e. the question is how well it will run on your machine. jME doesn’t need much resources to be runnable in a basic setting, but it ultimately depends on what you want to do. So my best guess would be to just try it out.

1 Like

i belive it will be about 50+ MB depends what packages you need. packed in JAR ofc.

or maybe less… you should just check :slight_smile:

jme3-testdata will be probably biggest package there, but noone use it since its just for test purpose.

1 Like

I have no idea where the 50 MB number comes from.

The JME jars are like less than 5 MB or something and testdata is 80 MB.

But it’s not clear what the original poster is actually asking. They joined the site just to ask that question within 2 seconds and jar size is already only two or three clicks away.

1 Like

how fast… I say, in memory
the sdk + engine + libraries
things like: does it already come with a compiler or should I download another one? if the jme weighs 50 mb but in dependencies it weighs more than 1gb
I have 300 mb of memory, don’t ask.

1 Like

22 ganadans.

Depends. You don’t need to use the SDK at all (I haven’t even downloaded it in 6-7 years). Engine + libraries depends on what parts you use. Less than 5 MB on disk.

This is a Java engine. You will need the JDK.

I assume you mean disk space. How much of that is available for development?

Edit: I think this used to be easier to get to but was only two clicks deep from the main page, might be useful since it sounds like your system may be limited: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/docs/getting-started/requirements.html

2 Likes

I’m not going to do anything big, let’s say it’s just for practice, just because if I feel like I’m doing nothing I want to shoot myself.

and thanks :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

1 Like

Its literally in the first sentence of the install topic of the very first page of the wiki. The one that is the first link of the nav menu and says "Getting Started". Its always been there.

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/docs/documentation.html#install

I think maybe we can avoid some posts like this if the jMonkeyEngine homepage quick start link were to point to the wiki getting started page rather than the page linked to now @jayfella.

The information is already available and better documented there.

Edit: I am talking about this link here on the homepage that says get started.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I meant. I went to the main page with the idea of “What are the system requirements?” and I had to poke around a bit to find them.

Click Documentation
Guess to click Engine Wiki
then scroll down to the “Install” section and notice the “requirements”.

It would be nice if much earlier it’s spelled out that if you aren’t interested in Java and don’t have at least OpenGL2 then just move along. :wink:

Edit: I may have dreamed it… but I sort of remember in one of the ancient site layouts, one of the main page’s bubbles had information something like this. Although it might have been inverted like instead of “you must have this” it was “Blah blah supports modern OpenGL, version 2 or greater!” like a feature.

1 Like

:laughing:

And welcome to the community @DulceDeLeche!

1 Like

Not to hijack the thread but this stuff on the main page under,

Contribute to jMonkeyEngine

should be removed and more bubbles/squares describing that and other things could be added instead. I believe we already went through that on another thread and it was not added for some reason.

Let the wiki direct them towards contributing, as it does now.

1 Like

I weighed it with two different scales and the both said 0 grams… +/- 0.001 grams in the case of the jeweler’s scale I bought to weigh pinewood derby cars 9 years ago.

3 Likes

By the way, I have a Linux laptop and I have no idea how to install programs

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Linux is a fantastic OS, and great on older hardware that may need some special consideration for good performance - no time like the present to learn it. :smiley:

1 Like

That page doesn’t take any other road other than using the SDK, though.

Today’s build process prefers gradle, and none of that is mentioned. The SDK at the time of this post doesn’t officially support gradle.

It’s a strange situation to be in. On the one hand we have an SDK. On the other we don’t actively promote it or push contribution to it on the same level as the engine.

There’s no official stance on the actual “getting started” phase. In reality so far as I am aware - it’s entirely up to the user to determine their preferred workflow.

1 Like

There are every type of build in that list, gradle, maven and sdk. The tutorials do however focus on the sdk and will be scrubbed of that, focusing on gradle instead. We can add your page to the tutorial mod if you like as a how-to run a game with gradle example.

Personally, I feel an official app like bootmonkey should be used in the tutorials as it has a small footprint and could be used as a project that the user can run from their own ide or even a distribution.

Not much upkeep is required for it and it makes setup of a game easy.

1 Like

Actually, the command line link from the wiki getting started page already has a page like yours but with greater detail.

Your page

The wiki page

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/docs/getting-started/simpleapplication_from_the_commandline.html

1 Like

Maybe I’m just not able to put myself in a newbie’s shoes, but to me that page is waaay too much information for a quick start page.

I mean I’m not against linking to a wiki. I’m all for it. Info should be centralised. It saves a lot of messing around. But a quick start that page isn’t.

1 Like

nice one, but would suggest use gltf model example, not ogre, so people would not use old format :slight_smile:

1 Like