How stable is the gui ( tutorial says pre-alpha)?

Hello all!

So I ran into an error with nifty, and that annoyed me, and I was looking for a regular menu system and realized this has it so I came here. I wanted to know how stable this is now (as I mentioned in the title the tutorial says pre-alpha), so I wanted to know if that has changed and the tut hasn’t been updated, or what?

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:contributions:tonegodgui

This is a pre-alpha release and though it is extensive and pretty solid, there is always the potential of change.

You can view the current change log HERE

Sources can be had HERE as they are not part of the plugin until the alpha release.

There is no change log, and the folders in the “Sources” are mostly empty, but there is a downloads section in that area with a a file from Feb 2013, is that the most recent, or…?

I’m not looking to do much, just a menu, some buttons, etc, so I think this will work well since I’m having nifty issues…

Thanks all,

~Jason

It’s a plugin. You can get the latest version from your sdk menu tools/plugins. Which means it’s awfully easy to get it updated too.

I haven’t played with the menus, but displaying buttons and other controls is easy with it.

It’s pretty stable too since I kind of been using it since it’s first version and I never had an update break my code.
One of the strengths of the library is it’s easy learning curve.

2 Likes
@loopies said: It's a plugin. You can get the latest version from your sdk menu tools/plugins. Which means it's awfully easy to get it updated too.

I haven’t played with the menus, but displaying buttons and other controls is easy with it.

It’s pretty stable too since I kind of been using it since it’s first version and I never had an update break my code.
One of the strengths of the library is it’s easy learning curve.

Thanks, yeah I found it and installed it in the plugins a little while ago and have just been looking at the documentation…

Waay easier than nifty…

i’ve used XML based GUI before, but I like the idea of an “all java” (for the most part) gui. I know you can use Java in Nifty also, but it’s a bit different.

I’ll be putting some stuff together and try it out.

So I tried some of the examples, but there is no import selections for the gui? I keep getting “Nifty Gui” options as well as some lwjgl option for screen and window. i downloaded the plugin, restarted the ide as a precaution as well, but nothing?

@KonradZuse said: Thanks, yeah I found it and installed it in the plugins a little while ago and have just been looking at the documentation...

Waay easier than nifty…

i’ve used XML based GUI before, but I like the idea of an “all java” (for the most part) gui. I know you can use Java in Nifty also, but it’s a bit different.

I’ll be putting some stuff together and try it out.

So I tried some of the examples, but there is no import selections for the gui? I keep getting “Nifty Gui” options as well as some lwjgl option for screen and window. i downloaded the plugin, restarted the ide as a precaution as well, but nothing?

As far as I know, the plugin doesn’t actually change anything in the SDK, other than add a new “Library”. All you should need to do is add this in your project properties (right click the project in the explorer, “Add Library”, scroll to the bottom you should set the tonegodgui plugin).

RR

2 Likes
@rockfire said: As far as I know, the plugin doesn't actually change anything in the SDK, other than add a new "Library". All you should need to do is add this in your project properties (right click the project in the explorer, "Add Library", scroll to the bottom you should set the tonegodgui plugin).

RR

I guess I fail on that one :p. I forgot how Netbeans type plugins work, should have looked at my Libraries, thank you very much!

1 Like

Just poking my head in where it is not wanted! I’m not answering because I am bias and thought you would rather here from people other than myself. :wink:

If you do have any questions that are specific to usage, just tag my name in the post so I know you need help.

1 Like

To answer the OP’s question, I’ve been working with this plugin for a while now, and I think it’s very stable, and it is way faster than Nifty when running on Android, if that is something you ever want to do.

Also, amount of frustration required to learn how to use it is nothing compared to Nifty. Things work really well, and they work in a very straightforward way.

And, if you run into any problems, (at least in my experience) t0neg0d will answer questions on this forum very quickly.

3 Likes

@t0neg0d:

When you get a healthy moment, you might want to update

to indicate that the project is in (at least) the beta stage of development, not pre-alpha. To me “pre-alpha” means not ready for testing.

@sgold said: @t0neg0d:

When you get a healthy moment, you might want to update

to indicate that the project is in (at least) the beta stage of development, not pre-alpha. To me “pre-alpha” means not ready for testing.

I updated this to reflect somewhere between Alpha and Beta. =)

EDIT: The reason I’m still hovering there (Though it should have been pushed to a solid Beta) is the addition of the integrated 2D Framework.

The 2D Framework is relatively solid
The GUI library is relatively solid
The integration of 2D Framework to GUI library is still shaky.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m really enjoying this gui, it’s a lot better than Nifty. I wanted to use this originally, but I somehow forgot about it when I went to reading the nifty tuts…

1 Like