How to compile from source?

@zanval88 said: I am fully aware of what a development version is. But what if I want to look at how the cake is made and learn from it?

Then you get a cook book and look what the cooks do, not complain that you don’t understand it or can’t do it yourself. Mind you your first comment on this was “why is this not straight forward?”

@normen said: Then you get a cook book and look what the cooks do, not complain that you don't understand it or can't do it yourself. Mind you your first comment on this was "why is this not straight forward?"

I did not intend to be rude, sorry if I chose the wrong words.

The “getting started” part after cloning the repo is very frustrating without any guidance though.

It would be much better if the Contributing.md file had very simple instructions on how to build the project, so people have a starting point.
For me, that would have been a good cook-book replacement.

@zanval88 said: I did not intend to be rude, sorry if I chose the wrong words.

The “getting started” part after cloning the repo is very frustrating without any guidance though.

It would be much better if the Contributing.md file had very simple instructions on how to build the project, so people have a starting point.
For me, that would have been a good cook-book replacement.

I don’t intend to be rude either but again, what is in master is not intended to be understood by anybody but the developers at the moment, its not complete, its a work in progress (especially the build process) and hence not documented. We have instructions in the wiki on how to build the stable version (3.0 branch), which is intended to be used by others. When the current development version and its build script are done there will be instructions as well. For now, if one of the developers has time to work on it, creating documentation for others has the lowest priority, sorry.

Again, you’re asking for a recipe for what the cook is creating at the moment, I said you should learn cooking (using a cook book) if you want to understand what the cook is doing, not asking him for a recipe while he’s cooking. There can only be a recipe when the meal is done.

Why are you using gradle 2.1? Just use the gradle wrapper in the root folder.