How to help new people get use to JME

I was looking at the Getting started list for JME. In my opinion the list is two long. I know that if that list is what I found when I first came to JME I would be very discouraged. My suggestion is that we have more frequent releases and in each release we include a zip file containing the jar, JMETEST code and classes outside of a jar (so the new people could experiment) , a bunch of batch files to start the programs, a batch file to compile the test, a up-to-date readme file, and cep21 guide to JME.

The “Getting started” link is something that’s kind of for people new to even CVS. All that information is kind of something someone using any type of open source project would need to know. I would agree with 4.1.1 , 4.1.2 , 4.1.3, ect ect releases. As far as batches to compile the test, we have that already with ant. Batch files to start the programs would be fine. Or even a “starter” AWT GUI that people could run to find and run the test.

I have some further suggestions for streamlining this section.

Take the users through 3 phases:

1. DEMO via JNLP

If they don’t like this, they go away without ever asking a technical question
  2. zip/gz images of a stable major release of jME

People can reach this point without ever having to encounter the horror of CVS
  3. CVS access to jME tree

Truly, most of the complexity on the current Getting Started page has NOTHING to do with jME.

small issues: the backslashes in the current page are not showing.

tone

2 out of the three are there :smiley:

1. http://www.mojomonkeycoding.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=33

2. https://jme.dev.java.net/source/browse/jme/

Il leave the other people to answer the other questions.

DP

Yes… but my advice is that these 3 should be accessible as part of the “Getting Started” path, and presented in that order.

I found the JNLP stuff, to be sure, but someone arriving would not necessarily find them before being asked to get ant and CVS installed, configured, and you’ll lose a good proportion at the outset.

tone

I’ll put those links in, right now.

Looks great!

tone

I am just now running through the jME Getting Started Guide and find it an excellent resource. After working with other scenegraphs and game engines this [jME Getting Started Guide] is unparralleled. My highest regard to the author and contributors.

To answer some of the questions posed in previous posts; No, I wasn’t discouraged by the CVS, etc. configuration related to jME nor the length of its docs.

However, I do have one question mainly related to best practices more than anything else. What is the best directory/file structure for compiling a new jME project for distribution? i.e. Including only needed classes, no demos, and prep’ing them for distribution. I realize that a lot of this comes with both experience and practice but as someone shallow in both topics I would like to hear from the experts amoung us.

Thank you in advance,

• digitalntburn