How to locate different parts of a model?

Hello, I was wondering how a developer locates different parts of a scene to texture it. For example I’m creating a new scene, how would I select trees or the ground or the houses to apply different textures? Because it’s “all in one”, just one .j3o file. Thanks :slight_smile:

In blender, select the faces and move their UV points to the part of the texture atlas thats supposed to texture that part of the model.

See this video - 21:22 is the relevant part but the way it sounds you might be well advised to watch the whole video.

Thank you. I was also curious as to how we can locate vertices? For example if I wanted to generate waves on a plane I created in Blender, how would I do that (with a sin function)?

I don’t know, theres lots of blender tutorials out there, you can find them using google.

Edit: Or do you mean in-engine? jME meshes work like in any OpenGL-based engine really, see here: https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/jme3/advanced/custom_meshes.html

Yes I meant in-engine. I’ll check out the link, ty.

I’d like to for example create a stack of wood in Blender and in-engine animate a fire effect on it. The issue I have is telling the engine where that object actually is located in the 3D space, seeing as how the fire stack comes with the whole .scene.

Keyword is Shader. Vertex shader to be exact.
Take a look at this, it is prettty simple but you will get the process, then it is just math ^^

Don’t get the problem…create a .j3o, import your wood stack into it, create a fire particle emitter and place it at the desired position. Then each time you will add you model.j3o in the scene it will have the fire effect attached.

If you want to attach it at runtime => woodStack.getWorldTranslation() + offset or just attach the emitter to the wood node(yuo can get a ref at loading if you create your scene by code or find the node with its name if you setup everything in the SDK.

What I mean with the wood stack is, say I made a big blender scene. A single .blend file I convert to j3o. Now, within this SINGLE file, how do I find the coordinates of the wood stack model?

I remember this guy. I used his tutorials as first-ever learning base. Thank you so much for the link :slight_smile: