How to overcome the org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: stack overflow (1283)

When i tried to run the very first demo namely, TestDynamicSmoker mentioned in the GettingStarted page after selection the resolution n' pressin' the OK button on the 'Select Display Settings' window the application gets terminated with the following output:

C:jmesrcjme>java -Djava.library.path=./lib -cp ./lib/lwjgl.jar;./lib/jogg-0.0.

5.jar;./lib/jorbis-0.0.12.jar;./lib/lwjgl_fmod3.jar;./target/jme.jar;./target/jm

e-effects.jar;./target/jme-model.jar;./target/jme-sound.jar;./target/jme-terrain

.jar;./target/jme-ui.jar;./target/jmetest.jar;./target/jmetest-data.jar jmetest.

effects.TestDynamicSmoker

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:23 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

INFO: Application started.

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:23 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesIO <init>

INFO: PropertiesIO created

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:23 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesIO load

INFO: Read properties

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:32 PM com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem <init>

INFO: LWJGL Display System created.

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:32 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesIO save

INFO: Saved properties

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:32 PM com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem <init>

INFO: LWJGL Display System created.

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:35 PM com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLRenderer <init>

INFO: LWJGLRenderer created. W:  800H: 600

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:35 PM com.jme.renderer.AbstractCamera <init>

INFO: Camera created.

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:35 PM com.jme.util.lwjgl.LWJGLTimer <init>

INFO: Timer resolution: 1000 ticks per second

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:35 PM com.jme.scene.Node <init>

INFO: Node created.

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:36 PM com.jme.scene.Node <init>

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:36 PM com.jme.scene.Node attachChild

INFO: Child (FPS label) attached to this node (FPS node)

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:36 PM com.jme.scene.Node attachChild

INFO: Child (Box01) attached to this node (ms3d file)

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:37 PM com.jme.scene.Node attachChild

INFO: Child (Cylinder01) attached to this node (ms3d file)

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:37 PM com.jme.scene.Node <init>

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:37 PM com.jme.scene.Node <init>

INFO: Child (Box01) attached to this node (ms3d file)

INFO: Child (Cylinder01) attached to this node (ms3d file)

INFO: Child (ms3d file) attached to this node (XML loaded scene)

INFO: Child (XML loaded scene) attached to this node (Smoker Node)

INFO: Child (disc) attached to this node (Smoker Node)

INFO: Child (Smoker Node) attached to this node (rootNode)

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:38 PM com.jme.scene.Node attachChild

INFO: Child (particles) attached to this node (rootNode)

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Stack overflow (1283)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:56)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.update(Display.java:567)

at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLRenderer.displayBackBuffer(Unknown Source

)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(Unknown Source)

at jmetest.effects.TestDynamicSmoker.main(Unknown Source)

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:38 PM com.jme.app.SimpleGame cleanup

INFO: Cleaning up resources.

Sep 17, 2005 7:21:38 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

INFO: Application ending.

C:jmesrcjme>

please help me overcome this error soon, as I haven't yet been able to run any of the demos in jME.

Please try the webstart demos.  If you are having troubles running all of the demos, try upgrading your video drivers.  Also, please list your video card and system information.

Thanks for the interest in my problem. The OS I'm using is Windows XP SP2 and I actually dont have any idea about the video card neither have I added any extra video card so I can only say that my mother board is from Intel and the model is D845GVFN. So, my video card is what comes with it.

Intel Extreme integrated graphics…  Not promising.  You can go here to upgrade your drivers: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/fn/fn_drive.htm

Also, have you tried the webstart demos yet?  http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=48

Sorry, for I forgot to mention about the webstart demos. I am unable to run even the webstart demos. I tried the FurBallz, and one of the demos that was present in the site under the Demos And Tests. But couldn't run. The screen just turns to black n' again returns to Windows. Also please tell me if the only thing that I need to upgrade is the Video: Intel Extreme Graphics.

Also please tell me something about OpenGL as I don't know how to install it as I have one file with the name OpenGL95 which extracts few files to the home directory after double clickin' it. And I'm totally unaware 'bout wat they will be doing from there, I mean how they actually work.

I could get no any better result. I upgraded the Video Intel Extreme Graphics but I am seeing the same out put as I have mentioned earlier.

do the LWJGL demos run for you? (www.lwjgl.org) if not, then jME will never run.

Luckily: Ya i am able to run the webstart demo of lwjgl ( spaceinvaders ). So, wat to do now.

I'm very much eager to run jME demos now n' start tryin' develop one of my one. So, plz help me.

Please try each of the demos listed on this page and let us know which ones do and don't work.  Thanks.

http://www.lwjgl.org/demos.php

I tried all of them from the link you gave and I was able to run almost all the demos except the ones I listed below:

From Input :- TestControllers

From OpenAL :- ALCTest,EAXTest,SourceLimitTest

From OpenGL :- Game

rest were successful. I tried runnin' the webstart FurBallz again after upgrading the video graphics,chip and realtek audio but I was still unable to run it.

regards Jay

The next step would be to see what gl calls are introduced in the 3 or so tests that you couldn't run and see if we are using them by default.  It sounds like your card doesn't handle something that we consider basic.  If we knew what that was, we might be able to code a path around it.

At the moment we are working on getting .9 out though, so I'll have to look into it later.  (Unless someone else here can do the above footwork?  Please?  :))

I would offer except I promised myself (and my wife) I wouldn't take any additional projects until I have finished the ODENetworking API and "Force of Fire".

I seem to have a knack for volunteering myself too much. :o

darkfrog

So, won't my problem be fixed? Won't I be able to code some jME programs? How long do I have to wait? :x

I'm sure someone will get to it relatively soon, there's just a lot of other things going on at the moment.  If this is something you care a lot about having fixed why don't you take a look into it yourself and see if you can find the line of code that is breaking and let us know, this would make our work much less and provide you a solution much faster.

darkfrog