How to record a game session and save as a video?

We’re using jME to create software for our business (not for a game, shame on me). We’d like to run our app and record that session to some video format that we can edit and use on our web site. What are our options?

Uhm, to be honest we can’t help you any better than Google can on this one, no offense intended.

Are you on Windows? I hear the best free option around is Fraps, but it might not be so suitable for showcase videos seeing as it appends a watermark.

No offense taken. I’m googling as we speak, looking for O/S-provided options with Windows 7. I’ll check out Fraps, so thanks for the pointer.

Of course, lmgtfy is always good if you do want to get a little jab in:

lmgtfy

dbranson said:(...) Of course, lmgtfy is always good if you do want to get a little jab in:
lmgtfy

Indeed, but then a "no offense intended" doesn't hold much merit :P

Haven’t checked any myself, though I believe I used one or two before:

http://downloadpedia.org/Open_Source_Windows#Screen_Capture

:slight_smile: well, maybe someday it will come in handy.

baalgarnaal said:
Haven't checked any myself, though I believe I used one or two before...

Excellent, thanks for the link.

Hello again!

I just wanted to let you know, I just started using Taksi as a capture program for jME to record something myself. Perhaps you still hadn’t found what you were looking for :wink: It’s inspired by fraps and works pretty much the same way, this one does not leave a water mark and is open source too, just windows tho.

To get rid om some parts in the vid I don’t need I’m going to give AVS a shot (actually the windows alternative, shame on me, do have ubuntu running as dual boot, I really should start that sometime -_-), perhaps you also would like to get that one as well :wink: Perhaps more people could use this software as a way to show what they made ^^

baalgarnaal said:
I just wanted to let you know, I just started using Taksi as a capture program for jME...

Cool, thanks for the update. I tried CamStudio, and it seems fine, but the recording was a little choppy. That might just be some settings I need to tweak. I'll definitely have a look at Taksi.