How to retarget animations from BVH files?

I am working on improving the animations for my game while upgrading to the new animation system, and I am looking to find the best way to retarget animations between 2 different skeletons.

It is looking like the Maud editor will be my best choice - I recall a long time ago seeing a video using Maud to retarget animations, but I did not bookmark it, and I cannot seem to find it again unfortunately. I tried to retarget an animation by trial and error a few weeks ago, but I got stuck on the bone mapping step.

I am also curious if animation retargeting is supported for the new animation system? Or if I should retarget my animations using the old anim system and then migrate to the new system afterwards.

1 Like

Maybe this helps, it’s for the old animation system, so you need to do the migration afterward I think.

In my case I retarget BVH animations to a T posed dummy character in Blender and export it as Gltf then in JME I load that dummy character and retarget animations from him to my other characters. For example you can use sgold Wes library to do it.

3 Likes

The new animation system is supported, but not in any release, so you’ll have to build Maud from source.

2 Likes