How to run MonkeyZone Server?

Hi, I’ve been a long time game developer with Visual Basic but I’m completely new to Java so a lot of this stuff is new to me.

I’ve managed to run the Client from the /dist directory using the .jar file but I am unable to run the Server.

When I try to run ServerMain.class or ClientMain.class from the command line I always get a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError. I’ve tried changing the class path when I do this but then I get the same error for a different file, sometimes for a file that doesn’t seem to exist (com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication). This is a don’t care for the Client since I can still run it from the .jar file in /dist but that doesn’t have a .jar file for running the Server. It makes sense that you wouldn’t want to distribute the Server which explains why it isn’t in the /dist directory, or am I confused about how this is supposed to run?

If I select ClientMain.java in the MonkeyEngine and have it run the file then the Client comes up just as it does when I run MonkeyEngine,jar, but when I do the same for ServerMain.java I get the following:

Nov 03, 2013 2:06:09 PM com.jme3.system.JmeDesktopSystem initialize
INFO: Running on jMonkeyEngine 3.0.0 RC2
Nov 03, 2013 2:06:10 PM com.jme3.asset.AssetConfig loadText
WARNING: Cannot find loader com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.MeshLoader
WARNING: Cannot find loader com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.SkeletonLoader
WARNING: Cannot find loader com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.MaterialLoader
WARNING: Cannot find loader com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.SceneLoader
WARNING: Cannot find loader com.jme3.scene.plugins.blender.BlenderModelLoader

Any help on how to run the Server and information about why I’m apparently missing the Ogre model (I’ve updated to the latest trunk in SVN) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doesn’t look like theres any errors, maybe the server is running already? Theres no output window for the server, just command line. You can best run it by setting the run configuration to “Server” next to the “play” button in the SDK.

Thanks for letting me know about the Server not having a window or anything. I set the configuration to Server and tried to run it and even though it still gives me those warnings about not being able to find scene.plugins.ogre it doesn’t crash so I assume it is running in the background. When I do a clean build I do get this warning though and I’m not sure if I should worry about it or not.

warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.5
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
1 warning

I think what I need to know now is what does the MonkeyZone.jar actual run and how are the Server and Client separated? When I run MonkeyZone.jar I get the warnings about missing scene.plugins.ogre in my command line but it seems to be running, although I don’t have any command line inputs anymore. I assume this means the Server is running since my computer asks me if I want to give it permission for network communication. The Client doesn’t seem to be running so I set the configuration to Client in the SDK and ran it from there and it came up fine. However, my Client is stuck on the Username input. How do you run the Server and Client separately without running through the SDK since it only builds the single .jar file and I can’t seem to run the ServerMain.class and ClientMain.class files? At this point how are the Client and Server interacting? How do you typically get past the Username input screen since it has nothing other than the text box?

I hate sounding like such a noob at this but I promise to become more competent at it, I just need to get past these typical beginner’s hurdles.